Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is this "would" the future in the past or any general hypothesis as conditional2 of counterfactual present or unlikely future?
I realized that considering "could", it is a general hypothesis as counterfactual present or something. If it refers to the future in the past, "could" should be changed to "could have I parked", right?

ex)Before going overseas on business, a rich man drove his Rolls-Royce to a New York City bank and went in to ask for an immediate loan of $5,000. The loan officer insisted on a guarantee, so the man handed over the keys to his Rolls-Royce. The loan officer had the car driven into the bank's underground parking lot for safekeeping, and gave him $5,000. Two weeks later, the man returned to pay his loan and get his car back. "That will be $5,000, and $15,40 in interest," the loan officer said. The man wrote out a check and started to walk way. "Wait, sir" the loan office said. "Why would a rich man like you need to borrow $5,000?" The man smiled."Where else could I park my Rolls-Royce in New York for two weeks and pay only $15.40?"

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Is this "would" the future in the past or any general hypothesis as conditional2 of counterfactual present or unlikely future?
I realized that considering "could", it is a general hypothesis as counterfactual present or something. If it refers to the future in the past, "could" should be changed to "could have I parked", right? No. It doesn't refer to "future in the past". It refers to general possibility.

ex)Before going overseas on business, a rich man drove his Rolls-Royce to a New York City bank and went in to ask for an immediate loan of $5,000. The loan officer insisted on a guarantee, so the man handed over the keys to his Rolls-Royce. The loan officer had the car driven into the bank's underground parking lot for safekeeping, and gave him $5,000. Two weeks later, the man returned to pay his loan and get his car back. "That will be $5,000, and $15,40 in interest," the loan officer said. The man wrote out a check and started to walk way. "Wait, sir" the loan office said. "Why would a rich man like you need to borrow $5,000?" The man smiled."Where else could I park my Rolls-Royce in New York for two weeks and pay only $15.40?"
Bhai.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I realized that considering "could", it is a general hypothesis as counterfactual present or something. If it refers to the future in the past, "could" should be changed to "could have I parked", right?

If it were changed to "Where else could I have parked ....?" it would suggest that it would only have been possible on that one occasion, not that it's a general and ongoing possibility.
It's clear from the piece that no matter when the man parked there, the cost would be $15.40.
The sentence could have been written several ways:

- Where else can I park my car ...? (However, this sounds like a genuine question, as if he's asking the parking attendant to tell him and give him directions to a different car park.)
- Where else would I have been able to park my car ...?
- Where else is it possible to park one's car ...?
- Where else am I able to park my car ...?

While thinking about this, I realised that in BrE, we use some unusual constructions sometimes when talking about things like this.

- I went to that very cheap supermarket yesterday.
- Did you? It looks horrible.
- Yes, but where else am I going to get a huge chocolate bar for 50 cents?!

- I went to Blackpool on holiday.
- Really? I've never fancied it myself. It looks really seedy.
- Well, that's true, but where else could I get a hotel for two weeks for four people for under £80?!

Status
Not open for further replies.