Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Here are three sentences expressing the future:
1) I like this play very much and, maybe, I'll study another novel or play by Thornton Wilder, e.g. Heaven's My Destination or The Skin of Our Teeth.

2) I like this play very much and, maybe, I am going to study another novel or play by Thornton Wilder, e.g. Heaven's My Destination or The Skin of Our Teeth.

3) I like this play very much and, maybe, I'll be studying another novel or play by Thornton Wilder, e.g. Heaven's My Destination or The Skin of Our Teeth.

Which one would you prefer? My problem is the adverb maybe expressing possibility or uncertainty regarding the future, which doesn't correspond with will or be going to in my opinion. How is this sentence in good English?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Here are three sentences expressing the future:

1) I like this play very much and, maybe, I'll study another novel or play by Thornton Wilder, e.g. Heaven's My Destination or The Skin of Our Teeth.

2) I like this play very much and, maybe, I am going to study another novel or play by Thornton Wilder, e.g. Heaven's My Destination or The Skin of Our Teeth.

3) I like this play very much and, maybe, I'll be studying another novel or play by Thornton Wilder, e.g. Heaven's My Destination or The Skin of Our Teeth.

Which one would do you prefer? My problem is the adverb maybe expressing possibility or uncertainty regarding the future, which doesn't correspond with will or be going to, in my opinion. How is can I write this sentence in good English?
I'm afraid I don't really like any of them.

I like this play a lot. Maybe I'll study another Thornton Wilder play one day.

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thank you. So you use will together with maybe, right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you. So you would use will together with maybe, right?
I don't understand why you need to ask that. Quite clearly, in my sentence I used "Maybe I'll ...".

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
OK, sorry - that was plain enough:)

Status
Not open for further replies.