Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello,

I know that the correct options are 'will' in both sentences, but would it be also correct to use 'be going to' in the first sentence to show that you are sure that the dog is going to bite the person. And in the second sentence too to show that you are sure your friend will not fail the exam. Maybe even continuous form in the second example wouldn't be a mistake?

Don't touch that dog. It's will/is going to bite you.

I am sure you will not/are not going to fail the exam next week.

Thanks

Hello,

I know that the correct options are 'will' in both sentences, but would it be also correct to use 'be going to' in the first sentence to show that you are sure that the dog is going to bite the person. And in the second sentence too to show that you are sure your friend will not fail the exam. Maybe even continuous form in the second example wouldn't be a mistake?

Thanks

Both options are correct.

And 'I am sure you are not failing the exam next week' would be correct too?

Thanks

I see a difference in the dog example.

If you said "Don't touch the dog. It will bite you," I would infer "If you touch it, it will bite you." It will, however, it will leave me alone if I leave it alone.

If you said "Don't touch the dog. It's going to bite you," I would understand it's likely to bite me one way or the other and would wonder why you didn't say "Get away from that dog! It's going to bite you!" (I would wonder that after I had gotten well away from the dog.)

Last edited:
Hello,

I know that the correct options are 'will' in both sentences (who said so?), but would it be also correct to use 'be going to' in the first sentence to show that you are sure that the dog is going to bite the person.Yes. And in the second sentence too to show that you are sure your friend will not fail the exam. Maybe even continuous form in the second example wouldn't be a mistake? Yes.

Thanks

b.

The test told me that :). Glad to hear that 'I am sure you are not failing the exam next week' will be correct too.
But you wouldn't say 'The dog is biting you' instead of 'is going to bite you', would you?

Thanks

The test told me that :). Glad to hear that 'I am sure you are not failing the exam next week' will be correct too.
But you wouldn't say 'The dog is biting you' instead of 'is going to bite you', would you? Not unless it was happening at that moment.

Thanks

b.

But you wouldn't say 'The dog is biting you' instead of 'is going to bite you', would you?

Thanks

"I am sure you are not failing the exam next week" this is not correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back