[General] Will universities abroad accept the score?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi teachers.

I talked with a girl today online. She took the IELTS a few years ago. She got an overall 6 (top score: 9) she told me she took the test in Malaysia. But she isn't satisfied with the score and she said she would take the test again; she would go to Malaysia because it would be easier to take the test. I don't believe this because the test system is the same all over the world. So I doubt if the score she got in Malaysia is dependable. I asked her "Will universities abroad accept the score?" Is this question natural? I want it to mean "Will unverisities abroad accept the score you get in Malaysia in your IELTS test?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you mean "Will they believe that you really got a 6?", "Will they believe that you got that score given that you took the test in Malaysia?" or "Will you be accepted to a university with an IELTS score of 6?"

I'm not clear what you're trying to express.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do you mean "Will they believe that you really got a 6?", "Will they believe that you got that score given that you took the test in Malaysia?" or "Will you be accepted to a university with an IELTS score of 6?"

I'm not clear what you're trying to express.

"Will they believe that you got that score given that you took the test in Malaysia?"

Sorry. I think I mean this. Will the universities accept the score because you took the test in Malaysia"? Because she thinks it's easier to get high scores in Malaysia, I think universities also know this, and therefore the score in Malaysia is less important than the scores in other countries.

I wonder if I should ask this question? "Will they believe that you got that score given that you took the test in Malaysia?"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'll point out (again) that the whole conversation between you and your friend is based on a complete misunderstanding of both IELTS and university admissions.

IELTS is administered by one organisation. No matter where you take the test geographically, it's still organised and assessed by the same people. When universities look at your IELTS certification, they don't care where you did the test. They just want to know that your assessment is certified by IELTS.

Anyway, your sentence is okay, even though the thought behind it is mistaken.

Last edited:

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi jutfrank. Last time you told me this and I believe totally and wholeheartedly what you said. That's why I asked her that question.

Anyway, your sentence is okay,

Will universities abroad accept the score?
"Will they believe that you got that score given that you took the test in Malaysia?"

Do you mean these two are okay and they mean the same thing?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They both ask what you want to ask, yes. Which one fits better in the conversation depends on the context.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry. I think I mean this. Will the universities accept the score although you took the test in Malaysia"? Because she thinks it's easier to get high scores in Malaysia, I think universities also know this, and therefore the score in Malaysia is given less weight than the scores in other countries.

I wonder if I should ask this question. "Will they believe that you got that score because you took the test in Malaysia?"

My suggestions.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi teachers.

I talked with a girl today online. She took the IELTS a few years ago.

If she took it a few years ago, then the score may no longer be considered valid- IELTS recommends regarding a result as valid for two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.