"Will" would make no sense. That would mean I don’t ...

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Could you explain how "would' works in B's sentence?

A: Could "would" be substitued to "will" in this sentence?
"I would take it to mean..."

B: "Will" would make no sense. That would mean I don’t take it to mean that at the moment, but I will in the future!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Imagine it as "If you put "will" in that sentence, it would make no sense".

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Could you explain what "indirect' is? I understand its meaning, but I don't know what it's related to "would." Is it the same as "hypothetical?" My English grammar book explains that we use “I would [suggest, think, imagine, hope, like, hate, etc…]” all the time in English as a slightly indirect, and often more polite, way of expressing how we feel or think about something.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the context of using 'would' in this way, indirectness relates to the idea of conveying thoughts, opinions, or desires in a polite, soft, or tentative manner. It allows a speaker to express themselves with a degree of politeness, suggestion, or uncertainty, rather than being too forceful. Depending on the social dynamic, it can be used to maintain harmony, show respect, or avoid sounding overly authoritative.

I like to think of it as a way to keep a distance between you and the person you're talking to, or a distance between yourself and what you're saying.

Last edited:

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
In the context of using 'would in this way, indirectness relates to the idea of conveying thoughts, opinions, or desires in a polite, soft, or tentative manner. It allows a speaker to express themselves with a degree of politeness, suggestion, or uncertainty, rather than being too forceful. Depending on the social dynamic, it can be used to maintain harmony, show respect, or avoid sounding overly authoritative.

I like to think of it as a way to keep a distance between you and the person you're talking to, or a distance between yourself and what you're saying.
Well, there are a number of phrases I have often seen native speakeer use "would".

I would understand that to be...
I would take it to mean...
I would interpret that as..

And each of these can also be said without using the word "would."

I understand that to be...
I take it to mean...
I interpret that as...

For example:
I would interpret that as...
I interpret that as...

Both are expressing an opinion/belief/thought that is not exact/precise/perfectly-known. There's some level of doubt or guesswork involved.

Then, what is the difference when you choose to add in the word "would" or choose not to add it?