"Will" would make no sense. That would mean I don’t ...

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Could you explain how "would' works in B's sentence?

A: Could "would" be substitued to "will" in this sentence?
"I would take it to mean..."

B: "Will" would make no sense. That would mean I don’t take it to mean that at the moment, but I will in the future!

Imagine it as "If you put "will" in that sentence, it would make no sense".

Could you explain what "indirect' is? I understand its meaning, but I don't know what it's related to "would." Is it the same as "hypothetical?" My English grammar book explains that we use “I would [suggest, think, imagine, hope, like, hate, etc…]” all the time in English as a slightly indirect, and often more polite, way of expressing how we feel or think about something.

Last edited:
In the context of using 'would' in this way, indirectness relates to the idea of conveying thoughts, opinions, or desires in a polite, soft, or tentative manner. It allows a speaker to express themselves with a degree of politeness, suggestion, or uncertainty, rather than being too forceful. Depending on the social dynamic, it can be used to maintain harmony, show respect, or avoid sounding overly authoritative.

I like to think of it as a way to keep a distance between you and the person you're talking to, or a distance between yourself and what you're saying.

Last edited:
In the context of using 'would in this way, indirectness relates to the idea of conveying thoughts, opinions, or desires in a polite, soft, or tentative manner. It allows a speaker to express themselves with a degree of politeness, suggestion, or uncertainty, rather than being too forceful. Depending on the social dynamic, it can be used to maintain harmony, show respect, or avoid sounding overly authoritative.

I like to think of it as a way to keep a distance between you and the person you're talking to, or a distance between yourself and what you're saying.
Well, there are a number of phrases I have often seen native speakeer use "would".

I would understand that to be...
I would take it to mean...
I would interpret that as..

And each of these can also be said without using the word "would."

I understand that to be...
I take it to mean...
I interpret that as...

For example:
I would interpret that as...
I interpret that as...

Both are expressing an opinion/belief/thought that is not exact/precise/perfectly-known. There's some level of doubt or guesswork involved.

Then, what is the difference when you choose to add in the word "would" or choose not to add it?

Back