Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1. With nobody coming tomorrow, we'll have to put off the meeting till next week.
2. With nobody to come tomorrow, we'll have to put off the meeting till next week.
(By me)

I’d like to know whether both sentences are correct and have the same meaning.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What are you trying to say?

As nobody's coming, we'll have to put off tomorrow's meeting until next week.
As nobody's coming tomorrow, we'll have to put off the meeting until next week.

Probably something like that, right?

I don't think you're going about learning this kind of construction in the right way. I don't think that particular book you're using is helping.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, that's what I wanted to say. Do the two sentences in #1 both make sense?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jutfrank's sentences are natural and easy to understand.

I wouldn't use either of your sentences--especially not the second one. (Sorry.)

I understand the intent of the first one, but I wouldn't use it.

Another possibility:

Since nobody's coming tomorrow we'll have to postpone the meeting.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you all so much for your help. There are only two ways I can learn English--one is from the books and the other is from this forum.
As a teacher of English in a middle school in China and a non-native speaker, I don’t have a good grasp of English, but I enjoy learning and want to be prepared to answer my students’ questions. These days, I’ve asked some questions about the absolute construction on this forum. The reason is that my students asked me similar questions. In order to give them satisfactory replies, I read one of the most authoritative grammar books in China. During my reading, I myself have had some questions about the author’s points and the example sentences. I know it’s unnecessary to tell the students too much about grammar. And I know I should tell them not to completely believe in so-called authorities. The following sentences are from a book named “A New Advanced English Grammar” by Zhang Zhenbang. I will write my thoughts about them and would like to read your comments.

1. A number of officials followed the emperor, some to hold his robe, others to adjust his girdle, and so on.
(My thought: This sentence lacks enough context. It would be better to add one sentence like this: The emperor went out of the room. A number of officials followed him, some to hold his robe, others to adjust his girdle, and so on.)

2. We divided the work, me to take care of the children, the others to work in the fields.
(My thought: The word “me” should be “I”.)

3. We shall assemble at ten forty-five, the procession to start moving at precisely eleven.
(My thought: This one is well acceptable.)

4. He knew that with him to help her, she could and would succeed.
(My thought: It would be better to say: He knew that with his help, she could and would succeed.)

5. The plan was that the two parties should first reach an agreement on the basic principle, the details to be worked out later.
(My thought: This one is well acceptable.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Either one is OK.
2. I would write that as two sentences, thus:
We divided the work. I took care of the children, and the others worked in the fields.

3. My sentence:

We will assemble at 10:45. We will leave at 11:00

(I'm not certain if that, because I'm not sure what you're trying to say.)

4. Your sentence is better.
5. It's okay, but I would probably use two sentences. And I wouldn't use "should" there.

Status
Not open for further replies.