Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Greeting all experts,

It has been the headache of mine since I began to do the translation. There has been countless times I encoutered complex, long nouns that needed to be translated. What bugs me most is that I don't know what type of word I should place before the main noun: a present participle, a past participle, or another noun.

For example, there is a therapy used to enhance skin resistance. So, if I were to make it into a noun phrase, what would it be? Which one in the below is correct?

Skin resistance enhancing therapy.
Skin resistance enhanced therapy.
Skin resistance enhancement therapy.

This is just one in a million cases that I have still been struggling with. Please enlighten me on this.
Thank you!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Greeting all experts,

It has been a headache of mine since I began to do [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] translation. There have been countless times I've encountered complex, long nouns that needed to be translated. What bugs me most is that I don't know what type of word I should place before the main noun: a present participle, a past participle, or another noun.

For example, there is a therapy used to enhance skin resistance. So, if I were to make it into a noun phrase, what would it be? Which one in the below is correct?

Skin resistance enhancing therapy.
Skin resistance enhanced therapy.
Skin resistance enhancement therapy.

This is just one in a million cases that I have [STRIKE]still[/STRIKE] been struggling with. Please enlighten me on this.
Thank you!
You can use "Skin resistance enhancing therapy" because the therapy causes the enhancing of skin resistance.You can use: "Skin resistance enhancement therapy" because the therapy causes the enhancement of skin resistance . Both are nouns. (A gerund is a noun).
You can't use the second because the therapy is not skin resistance enhanced. That's what that means.
It's true that the therapy leads to enhanced skin resistance. You could call it "Enhanced skin resistance therapy."
'Enhanced' is acting as an adjective here. So it has to come before the noun it qualifies. And what is enhanced is skin resistance, not the therapy.

I know, it's difficult.

Creamcake

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you so much for your revision and explaintion in detail. Here I see there is a similarity between a Noun and a Gerund (obviously). This is exactly what makes me confuse whenever I have to make a noun phrase or select a word after a preposition. So, when it comes to these situations, is it OK for me to pick either of them? Or if there are any differences, even the smallest ones, what are they?

By the way, when choosing an adjective, how do I know whether to select an 'ing' or an 'ed' one? It is not always as easy to distinguish as 'interesting' and 'interested'.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, I can't say that you can always exchange a gerund for another noun (or vice versa). But if you have any further examples of nouns v.gerunds that you're unsure of, you could post them.

'Interesting' is the adjective from the present participle, and 'interested' comes from the past participle.
- If you are watching a TV show, the show is interesting to you. It's an interesting show. You are the person who is interested. The show has interested you.
- If you are confused, you are having trouble understanding something. If you are confusing, someone is having trouble understand you.
The 'ing' adjective belongs to the thing that is doing something. "This lesson is boring me".
The 'ed' adjective belongs to the thing that is acted upon. "You are bored". The lesson is acting on you; it is boring you and making you bored.
That's one way to look at it. Again, if you're not sure, post a few examples.

Creamcake

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Ok I have some example:

- The benefit of advertising/advertisement is to promote products of companies wanting to have a firm place in the market.
- The entertaining/entertainment system in this plane is truly remarkable.

I don't know which to choose in these sentences. Although I do realize that they are different types of word, I cannot tell the difference in the meanings. Perhaps you would kindly explain to me.

About '-ing' and '-ed' adjectives, I have encountered a lot whenever I had to create a long noun, but unfortunately I am not recalling any of them at the moment. So another time, another thread maybe (frankly, I like to discuss with you :-D).

Creamcake

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I am not really sure that I get you right. (excuse me for being dull)

In the second explaination, do you mean:
- An entertainment system contains electrical devices, equipment, wires, circuits and stuff, etc., that provide the entertainment (movies, music, etc.) for us, or in another word, it is more general;
- The entertaining one, on the other hand, is movies and music itself.

Is that it? :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.