[Vocabulary] Words Meaning Almost The Same...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christin93

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Albania
Current Location
Albania
I had some difficulty in picking up the right one so I bold the ones i though were right...

In 1906, in an effort to improve the health of the country's children, the British government passed a law that gave schools Allowance/Permission to offer pupils nourishing cooked meals. The first schools to do so reported an amazing improvement in the children's health and soon most schools were offering cheap, nutritional midday meals to children whose parents could not Afford/Provide to pay for them.
TV chef Jamie Olivier Revealed/Gave/Opened/Portrayed the poor quality of the modern school dinner in his 2005 television series.
The public was made Conscious/Aware/Acquainted of the disturbing truth as the cameras filmed the scenes in school kitchens.
Viewers were shown overweight, unhealthy children addicted to chips and junk food who were unable to recognize many Normal/Everyday/Regular/Common vegetables.
Thankfully Jamie's campaign together with pressure from parents and other groups, Showed/Brought/Guided/Led changes.
The government were forced to act, promptly Expelling/Blocking/Banning/Forbidding meals high in salt and fat from school canteens.
It was also announced that it was investing 280m in the schools dinners in an effort to Substitute/Alter/Change/Replace cheap, processed food with freshly cooked meals.
Schools dinners in England now exclude junk food. Contrary/Instead/Elsewhere/Alternatively they are made from fresh ingredients everyday and include at least two portions of fruit and vegetables with every meal. Deep-fried food is Dropped/Restricted/Regulated/Confined to two portions for week and school tuck sops and vending machines are not allowed to sell sweets, snacks or rinks unless they are Free from/Clear of/Backing in/Empty of added salt, sugar and fats.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I had some difficulty choosing the right ones, so I bolded the ones I though were right.

In 1906, in an effort to improve the health of the country's children, the British government passed a law that gave schools an allowance/permission (both are possible, I would guess "an allowance") to offer pupils nourishing cooked meals. The first schools to do so reported an amazing improvement in the children's health, and soon most schools were offering cheap nutritional midday (I wouldn't put commas between adjectives) meals to children whose parents could not afford to pay for them.
TV chef Jamie Olivier revealed the poor quality of the modern school dinner in his 2005 television series.
The public was made aware of the disturbing truth as the cameras filmed the scenes in school kitchens.
Viewers were shown overweight unhealthy children addicted to chips and junk food and who were unable to recognize many common vegetables.
Thankfully, Jamie's campaign, together with pressure from parents and other groups, brought changes.
The government were:-( forced to act, promptly banning meals high in salt and fat from school canteens.
It was also announced that it was:-D investing (should be a pound sign somewhwere) 280m in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] school[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] dinners in an effort to replace cheap processed food with freshly cooked meals.
School[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] dinners in England now exclude junk food. Instead they are made from fresh ingredients every day and include at least two portions of fruit and vegetables with every meal. Deep-fried food is restricted to two portions per week, and school tuck shops and vending machines are not allowed to sell sweets, snacks or drinks unless they are free from added salt, sugar and fats.

Status
Not open for further replies.