Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
What's the best word to refer to somebody who works out at the gym? A gym goer? A gym rat? A bodybuilder?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know of a single word that refers to such a person.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A bodybuilder may be a person who works out at a gym, but most people who do so are not bodybuilders. Bodybuilders are people devoted to building unnaturally (to my eyes, anyway) large muscles; most people who go to gyms just aim to keep generally fit.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Now I think about it, I have heard the word "gym bunny". I guess it means someone who goes to the gym a lot.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Gym member? Though I suppose membership doesn't necessarily involve working out.

Where did you hear gym rat?!

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Now I think about it, I have heard the word "gym bunny". I guess it means someone who goes to the gym a lot.

I saw this word somewhere too, but somebody pointed out that it had a negative connotation.

Last edited:

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Gym member? Though I suppose membership doesn't necessarily involve working out.

Where did you hear gym rat?!

I googled something and came across this expression, but I don't remember exactly where.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for that! Isn't the internet great for showing you pictures of people that couldn't resemble real people less?

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's the best word to refer to somebody who works out at the gym? A gym goer? A gym rat? A bodybuilder?

Gym rat is a good word for it. I don't think it is very negative but it depends on who you are addressing. You could also use gym nut, or gym junkie. I don't know how common they are because I'm not surrounded by those people but I think most people would understand those words.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh, these are real people all right. I see them every other day. They are really quite nice.

In the mean time I'll try to figure out what a "real person" looks like. A fat slob who doesn't care about his or her appearance? Heaven forbid!

Almost everyone among us has heard the phrase "playboy bunny". It doesn't take much intelligence to extend that concept.

You live in SoCal, there is no doubt you have seen one of those girls before. I think gym bunny was started by gay folks but probably shared the same origin of playboy bunny. It's a fine word to address certain people. I don't think our student should use it liberally. Some people might get offended by the mere association.

Status
Not open for further replies.