Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
India
Hello,

I am wondering whether would can be used in place of did not in past narrative.
For example: They would admit neither X nor Y. He tried to make her understand, but she would not listen.

In both cases, simple past can be used without would such as: they admitted neither x nor y or she did not listen. But I am wondering whether 'would' can be used in this way.

Edit:

Another question on would in past narrative: X was perhaps the event which would trigger world war. (is would here the same as 'was to'?).

Mr. X

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

I am wondering whether would can be used in place of did not in past narrative.
For example: They would admit neither X nor Y. He tried to make her understand, but she would not listen.

In both cases, simple past can be used without would such as: they admitted neither x nor y or she did not listen. But I am wondering whether 'would' can be used in this way.

Edit:

Another question on would in past narrative: X was perhaps the event which would trigger world war. (is would here the same as 'was to'?).

Mr. X
Yes, all your examples are fine, "would" is used correctly. However, in this example it implies a refusal to listen that is not necessarily implied with "did not": "He tried to make her understand, but she would not listen".

Mr. X

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
India
Yes, all your examples are fine, "would" is used correctly. However, in this example it implies a refusal to listen that is not necessarily implied with "did not": "He tried to make her understand, but she would not listen".

Thanks for pointing that out.

What about the first example - would admit neither... does would here merely function as the past of will?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's also a refusal.

Status