Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Could you tell me how "would" works in this conversation?

Q: Here’s a question I’m hoping a British reader, or at least one with a grasp of British English, can help me with: What’s the implication of dropping the definite article before plural team nicknames? I mean the habit of saying “Liverpool are hosting Wolves this weekend” rather than “Liverpool are hosting the Wolves this weekend.”

British speaker : I think you’ll find that the definite article is dropped if the nickname is an extension of the town it relates to. Obviously Wolves is a shortened version of Wolverhampton, and you’d never refer to “The” Wolverhampton. Similarly, West Ham United are known as “The Irons”, and you would refer to them as “The” Irons, but just “United”, where United is an extension of the town name, West Ham. Referring to “The United” would be the equivalent of referring to “The West Ham” or “The Dallas”.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Referring to “The United” would be the equivalent of referring to “The West Ham” or “The Dallas”.
there is an implied condition here: "Referring to “The United” , if you did that, would be the equivalent of referring to “The West Ham” or “The Dallas”.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Is "would" also an implied condition in this sentence? There is no "if" above.

Similarly, West Ham United are known as “The Irons”, and you would refer to them as “The” Irons,

Status
Not open for further replies.