Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hello everyone! I am preparing for my writing exam and it is hoped that someone can correct my writing. Below is a letter to the Environmental Protection Department for the improvement of air quality. Please kindly comment on the structure, choice of words, grammar and anything that is important for a piece of formal writing, your suggestions will definitely help me get the best score of my coming exam. Thank you!:-D

It is often heard that the air of our city is heavily polluted. Notwithstanding its bad consequences like inducing respiratory illnesses, decreasing visibility, affecting the wildlife, etc., the government puts off implementing measures and policies to improve the air quality. If the issue is not addressed immediately, our society must suffer in the future. This letter is to investigate how residents are affected by bad air quality and to suggest ways to press ahead with the problems.

Actually, the major air pollutants in our city are come from transportation sector. Since our city is dense with tall buildings paced within a few inches apart from each other and vehicles elsewhere in the streets, this creates difficulty for the ventilation and escape of the air pollutants. What makes the problem worse is that many of our residential buildings are located by the roadside, citizens easily breathe in the air pollutants released by vehicles. It has been suggested that prolonged exposure to air pollutants like nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide will lead to serious health problems.

To improve the air quality, it is necessary to first figure out the sources of air pollutants. As mentioned, the majority come from transportation sector, yet some are from others sectors: fuel-burning for electricity provision, construction wastes and pollutants diffusing from nearby regions. To put down emissions from transportation, measures like installation of catalytic converters in vehicles for the removal of nitrogen oxides and increase of petroleum tax can be implemented. Also, it is important to cooperate with the business sector by launching a rebate system for the frequent use of public transport.

Apart from implementing new measures, it is also essential to review existing policies and measures. We all know that the air-monitoring system has been under operation for a number of years, which means it might be outdated and fail to signify the air quality. The Observatory is highly encouraged to replace the current system with the one which can perform better in terms of accuracy. Our citizens can tolerate no wrong information regarding air pollution. This is also for the government’s convenience to obtain accurate data for further action on the improvement of air quality.

We are all facing a high time as the air quality keeps getting worse, it is hoped that the above suggestions shall be carried out with urgency. Otherwise, both us and the next generations will suffer.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hello everyone! I am preparing for my [STRIKE]writing[/STRIKE] written exam and [STRIKE]it is hoped that [/STRIKE] I hope someone [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] would correct my writing. Below is a letter(it looks more like an essay than a letter to me) to the Environmental Protection Department[STRIKE] for[/STRIKE] on the improvement of air quality. Please kindly comment on the structure, choice of words, grammar and anything that is important for a piece of formal writing. Your suggestions will definitely help me get the best score [STRIKE]of [/STRIKE] for my coming exam. Thank you!:-D

[STRIKE]It is often heard[/STRIKE] We often hear (It is better to use the active voice unless you have reasons to use the passive) that the air of our city is heavily polluted. Notwithstanding its bad consequences like [STRIKE]inducing[/STRIKE] causing respiratory illnesses, decreasing visibility, affecting the wildlife, etc., the government [STRIKE]puts off [/STRIKE] is not giving enough priority to implementing measures and policies to improve the air quality. If the issue is not addressed immediately, our society [STRIKE]must[/STRIKE] will suffer in the future. The aim of this letter(letter or essay?) is to [STRIKE]investigate[/STRIKE] discusse/analyse/examine how residents are affected by bad air quality and[STRIKE] to[/STRIKE] suggest ways to [STRIKE]press ahead with[/STRIKE] solve the problems.

Actually, the major air pollutants in our city [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] come from the transportation sector. Since our city is [STRIKE]dense[/STRIKE] congested with tall buildings spaced within a few inches apart from each other (buillt very close to each other) and vehicles [STRIKE]elsewhere[/STRIKE] congested in the streets, this [STRIKE]creates difficulty for the[/STRIKE] is bad for ventilation and [STRIKE]escape[/STRIKE] dissipation of the air pollutants. What makes the problem worse is that many of our residential buildings are [STRIKE]located by the roadside[/STRIKE] built close to roads and highways, [STRIKE]citizens[/STRIKE] residents [STRIKE]easily[/STRIKE] breathe in the air pollutants released by vehicles. It[STRIKE] has been suggested[/STRIKE] is a fact that prolonged exposure to air pollutants like nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide[STRIKE] will [/STRIKE]leads to serious health problems.

To improve the air quality, it is necessary to first [STRIKE]figure out[/STRIKE] identity/determine the sources of air pollutants. As mentioned,[STRIKE] the majority[/STRIKE] most of them come from transportation sector, [STRIKE]yet[/STRIKE] with some are from others sectors: fuel-burning for electricity [STRIKE]provision[/STRIKE] generation, construction wastes and pollutants [STRIKE]diffusing[/STRIKE] discharged from nearby regions, amongst others. To [STRIKE]put down[/STRIKE] reduce gaseous emissions from transportation, measures like the installation of catalytic converters in vehicles for the removal of nitrogen oxides and the [STRIKE]increase [/STRIKE] imposition of higher [STRIKE]petroleum[/STRIKE] fuel tax [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] should be implemented. Also, it is important to [STRIKE]cooperate with[/STRIKE] get the cooperation of the business sector by launching a rebate system [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to encourage the frequent use of public transport.

Apart from implementing new measures, it is also essential to review the existing policies and [STRIKE]measures[/STRIKE] environmental legislations. We [STRIKE]all[/STRIKE] know that the air-monitoring system has been [STRIKE]under[/STRIKE] in operation for a number of years, which means it might be outdated and fail to [STRIKE]signify[/STRIKE] monitor the air quality effectively. The Observatory(?) [STRIKE]is highly encouraged to replace[/STRIKE] should look into upgrading the current system with[STRIKE] the[/STRIKE] one which can [STRIKE]perform better in terms of accuracy[/STRIKE] monitor the air quality more accurately and effectively. Our citizens can tolerate no wrong information regarding air pollution (The people should have access to correct and accurate information on air quality).[STRIKE] This is also for the government’s convenience[/STRIKE] The authorities should be in a position to obtain accurate data for further action on the improvement of air quality.

[STRIKE]We are all facing a high time [/STRIKE] This is a critical issue for us citizens as the air quality keeps getting worse. [STRIKE]I[/STRIKE][STRIKE]t is hoped that [/STRIKE] We hope the above suggestions [STRIKE]shall [/STRIKE] would be taken seriously and carried out with urgency. Otherwise, both [STRIKE]us[/STRIKE] we and the[STRIKE] next [/STRIKE] future generations [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] would suffer.

Last edited:

yslamac

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I really appreciate your corrections. However, I am confused with the use of "would" and "will", as I notice that some modals have been replaced with "would". Can you explain a bit more on it? Many thanks!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Will" expresses "certainty" whereas "would" implies "possibility". Thus, I would not use "will" unless I am sure of something happening.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello everyone! I am preparing for my writing exam, and [STRIKE]it is[/STRIKE] I am hoping [STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE] that someone can correct my writing. Below is a letter to the Environmental Protection Department for the improvement of air quality. Please [STRIKE]kindly[/STRIKE] comment on the structure, choice of words, grammar and anything that is important for a piece of formal writing. Your suggestions will [STRIKE]definitely[/STRIKE] hopefully help me get [STRIKE]the best[/STRIKE] a better score [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in my upcoming exam. Thank you!:-D

It is [STRIKE]often heard[/STRIKE] generally accepted that the air [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in our city is heavily polluted. [STRIKE]Notwithstanding its bad[/STRIKE] Despite the obvious detrimental consequences to people's health like [STRIKE]inducing[/STRIKE] the rise in respiratory illnesses, the decrease in [STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] visibility, and the impact on the natural environment and the city's [STRIKE]affecting the[/STRIKE] wildlife, [STRIKE]etc.,[/STRIKE] the government has put off implementing measures and policies to improve the air quality. If the issue is not addressed immediately, our [STRIKE]society[/STRIKE] community will [STRIKE]must[/STRIKE] suffer even more in the future. I am writing this letter [STRIKE]isto investigate how residents are affected by bad air quality and[/STRIKE] to suggest ways [STRIKE]to press ahead[/STRIKE] of dealing with this problem.

Actually, the major air pollutants in our city are come from transportation sector. Since our city is dense with tall buildings paced within a few inches apart from each other and vehicles elsewhere in the streets, this creates difficulty for the ventilation and escape of the air pollutants. What makes the problem worse is that many of our residential buildings are located by the roadside, citizens easily breathe in the air pollutants released by vehicles. It has been suggested that prolonged exposure to air pollutants like nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide will lead to serious health problems.
I suggest you rewrite the above paragraph in a clear, simple, and direct manner.

To improve the air quality, it is necessary to first figure out the sources of air pollutants. As mentioned, the majority come from transportation sector, yet some are from others sectors: fuel-burning for electricity provision, construction wastes and pollutants diffusing from nearby regions. To put down emissions from transportation, measures like installation of catalytic converters in vehicles for the removal of nitrogen oxides and increase of petroleum tax can be implemented. Also, it is important to cooperate with the business sector by launching a rebate system for the frequent use of public transport.
I don't see why you wrote another paragraph about cars. You could have incorporated that info in the previous one.

Apart from implementing new measures, it is also essential to review existing policies and measures. We all know that the air-monitoring system has been [STRIKE]under[/STRIKE] in operation for a number of years, which means it might be outdated and fail to provide an accurate assessment of [STRIKE]signify[/STRIKE] the air quality. The Observatory is highly encouraged to replace the current system with [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a modern one. [STRIKE]which can perform better in terms of accuracy. Our citizens can tolerate no wrong information regarding air pollution.[/STRIKE] This [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] will also [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] help the government [STRIKE]’s convenience to[/STRIKE] in obtaining accurate data and enable it to take suitable [STRIKE]for further[/STRIKE] action [STRIKE]on the[/STRIKE] to improve [STRIKE]ment of[/STRIKE] air quality.

We are all facing a [STRIKE]high time[/STRIKE] a major challenge as the air quality keeps getting worse. I [STRIKE]it is[/STRIKE] hope that the above suggestions will be considered seriously. [STRIKE]shall be carried out with urgency.[/STRIKE] Otherwise, [STRIKE]both us and the next generations[/STRIKE] the people of this city will continue to suffer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.