Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
--Did you go to see the film Let Go Bullets last night?
--Yes. So I did.

Is the Yes in the reply necessary? I would think using 'So I did' or just 'Yes, I did' would be ok. But I'd like to know whether many native English speakers use 'Yes. So I did.' in such a context.

Thank you in advance.

You are correct that "Yes I did." is the common colloquial form.

In everyday speech you would not likely hear "So I did", or "Yes. So I did." These phrases are either dialect, or the speaker is trying to convey some special effect.

--Yes. So I did.

Is the Yes in the reply necessary? I would think using 'So I did' or just 'Yes, I did' would be ok. But I'd like to know whether many native English speakers use 'Yes. So I did.' in such a context.

Thank you in advance.
'Yes,' or 'Yes I did' are the only natural answers in standard BrE.
'I did' is more formal.

An Irish English speaker would be likely to say "I did so". So you might hear that if you meet any Irish people.

--Yes. So I did.

Thank you in advance.

Not many, but some. This may have something to do with the fact that Latin had no single word for 'yes' so many translations introduced a 'so' on the basis of something like ita vero ('thus indeed'), and many older prescriptive grammars 'followed suit' [='adopted the same approach'].

Tangentially, it was on the basis of the Latin etiam that most Romance languages introduced the particle 'si'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back