Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
you can have too much of a good thing vs. you can do too much of a good thing

Hello,
Can I say both the wordings? If so, please what is the difference?
Thank you.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Can I use say both sentences the wordings?

The sentence "You can have too much of a good thing" is a set phrase. It means that if you're over-exposed to something pleasant, it can feel unpleasant. It can be too much for you.

"You can do too much of a good thing" can be used in the right context, if it's obvious that you're playing with the words in the original phrase. I'd take it to mean "You can be more good than you need to be, and end up doing something that doesn't have a good effect".

If so, please what is the difference?
"Have" in that phrase means "obtain" or "experience". "Do" means "to perform" or "to carry out".

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
you can have too much of a good thing vs. you can do too much of a good thing

Hello,
Unnecessary. Just go straight in with your question.

Can I say both the wordings? Are the following sentences correct? If so, please what is the difference between them?

1. You can have too much of a good thing.
2. Y
ou can do too much of a good thing.

Thank you. Don't thank us in advance. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any post you find helpful.
Please note my changes to the layout and the corrections above. You need to put the words/phrases/sentences you're asking us to look at in both your title and the main body of your post. Whenever you give us more than one sentence to look at, number them. There's no need for an opening or closing salutation, and don't thank us in advance.

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I don't understand what you mean by crossing out you can have too much of a good thing vs. you can do too much of a good thing.
What have I got to put in the title here???

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have already amended your title to a more appropriate one. The reason I crossed out the long line at the top was that I moved your two sentences to later in the post. Did you "Click to expand"? I wanted to make it clear that the two sentences should appear after "Are the following sentences correct?" and should be numbered.

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Please, what is the amended title? I don't understand it, actually!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please, what is the amended title? I don't understand it, actually!
Apologies for the confusion! I didn't change your title. The title was OK but you needed to put those two sentences in the main body of your post as well. You hadn't, so I added them to post #1, copying the way you'd written them in the title. Then, when I wrote post #3, I moved them to a more appropriate position in the post and numbered them. Anyway, let's not concentrate too much on this issue and get back to your original question.
Both sentences are possible. The first is much more common but the second would be easily understood by anyone already familiar with the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.