Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You get the cookies I sent.

I want to understand why do we use "get" not "got" and which tense is this?. ( I understand we are talking about past tense and we can also say- Did you get the cookies I sent.

"You get the cookies I sent." If this is supposed to be a question, it is incorrect. If not, what is it supposed to be?

We use the present tense because of the auxiliary verb "did".

I think it should be the bare infinitive instead of the present tense, or the OP might wrongly write 'Did he gets the cookies?' next time, but I am not a teacher.

I think it should be the bare infinitive instead of the present tense, or the OP might wrongly write 'Did he gets the cookies?' next time, but I am not a teacher.

Why did we use "s" with gets?

"You get the cookies I sent." If this is supposed to be a question, it is incorrect. If not, what is it supposed to be?

This is not the question. In colloquial, we keep saying like this or in movies we keep hearing like this.

In what context do you say it/hear it?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Yes, Suniljain, so-called elliptical questions are very common in ordinary conversations (especially among friends).

TheParser: [Did] you get the cookies I sent?

Mona: Yes. By the way, [did] you get the necktie I sent you?

TheParser. No.

Mona: [Do] you want to meet Betty, my cousin?

TheParser: Sure. [Does] she speak English?

Of course, it is NOT a good idea for students to speak this way! But they should not be surprised when they hear native speakers use such abbreviated questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back