You know, I was seriously considering asking you out. I think I'll learn to love again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Joyce

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I want to know the meaning of " I think I will learn to love again." Thank you very much!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What specifically do you not understand about it? Do you understand the meaning of "think", "learn" and "love"?

Ash Joyce

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What specifically do you not understand about it? Do you understand the meaning of "think", "learn" and "love"?
Yes, I know the meaning of these words.
These two sentences are a conversation between two people. The first guy told the other guy to get out of his office, and the second guy said something like that and left. And the relationship between them is the police and the suspect. This conversation is from a British TV series. So I wonder if this sentence has any special meaning. Thank you very much for your reply !!!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can you see why it would have been a good idea to give us all that context in post #1? Before we continue, please tell us the name of the series. It won't make any difference to our answers but it is a requirement of the forum that you cite the source of any quote you use when you didn't write the words/phrases yourself.

Ash Joyce

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm so sorry. This is my first time using this forum and I'm not entirely clear about the rules there. The name of this series is New Tricks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for providing the source. There is no need to apologise.

I'm assuming it's the suspect who said the line about love. He's being funny/sarcastic. Of course, he's not really going to ask the police officer out on a date. That would be completely inappropriate. The second sentence simply makes it funnier - he's saying that he (jokingly) thinks the police officer would be able to rekindle his ability to love.

Ash Joyce

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I got it! Thank you so much!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I got it! Just one space after an exclamation mark Thank you so much!

You're welcome. However, please note that there is no need to write a new post to thank anyone. Simply click on the "Thank" icon (found by hovering your cursor over the "Like" button).

Status
Not open for further replies.