You ought to shut off the electricity when you leave a room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

touchstone

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You ought to shut off the electricity when you leave a room.
(from a textbook)
Is the use of
shut off here OK? I think its better to use cut off. What do you say?
Thanks.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Neither is natural, at least in AmE. You should turn off the lights, but there's no need to shut off the power altogether. That would usually entail opening a circuit breaker or removing a fuse, which is a bit drastic.

touchstone

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Neither is natural, at least in AmE. You should turn off the lights, but there's no need to shut off the power altogether. That would usually entail opening a circuit breaker or removing a fuse, which is a bit drastic.

Thanks, GoesStation.
1. Do you mean shut off the electricity is not OK, while cut off the electricity is OK? What about shut off the electricity supply?
2. For the original sentence, you mean its OK to say turn off the lights. But how to use a phrase to say turn off the lights, TV, the computer etc. in a room?
Thanks a lot.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

1. Do you mean shut off the electricity is not OK, while cut off the electricity is OK? What about shut off the electricity supply?

I would only say these if you're actually talking about completely removing electrical current from the house, or at least a room. Both of them suggest a complete loss of power to the room.

When we flip off a switch, we're not actually turning off the entire electric supply to the room, we're just blocking electric current to the specific device or outlets connected to that circuit loop. The power is still there, waiting to be used.

Think of electricity as water behind a dam. Flipping a switch is like opening the dam to let water run. Cutting or shutting off the power would be akin to draining all the water from behind the dam.

If I just want the to turn off the t.v. or lights, I flip a switch. However, if I need to do electrical repairs, then I have to completely turn off all the electricity in order to avoid getting shocked while working.

For the original sentence, you mean its OK to say turn off the lights. But how to use a phrase to say turn off the lights, TV, the computer etc. in a room?

I would just say something like "Please shut everything off when leaving the room" or "Be sure and turn everything off when you leave."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In BE, we're more likely to say 'When leaving the room for any length of time (not just to switch the kettle on or get a Marmite sandwich from the kitchen), switch the lights off and any other electrical appliance'.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I regularly eat Vegemite (essentially the same as Marmite, I believe, but superior), and I rarely turn off things when I leave the room. I don't get the association. Is it a British thing?

touchstone

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

I would only say these if you're actually talking about completely removing electrical current from the house, or at least a room. Both of them suggest a complete loss of power to the room.

When we flip off a switch, we're not actually turning off the entire electric supply to the room, we're just blocking electric current to the specific device or outlets connected to that circuit loop. The power is still there, waiting to be used.

Thanks, Skrej.
You mean that when you shut off the electricity to a room, there will be no electricity supply to the room. In that case, turning on or off the switch to the lights is meaningless. They won
t work whether you turn on or turn off the switch to them. Am I right?
Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The following is my understanding.

If you want to power down a device, flip off the switch.
If you want to stop the electricity supply to a room, cut off the electricity.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

You mean that when you shut off the electricity to a room, there will be no electricity supply to the room. In that case, turning on or off the switch to the lights is meaningless. They won
’t work whether you turn on or turn off the switch to them. Am I right?

Yes, that's correct. Where I live, it would be very odd to shut off the electricity supply when leaving a room. I did have a neighbor who always removed the battery from his truck when the temperature was forecast to drop below 0 F (-18 C), though. He was convinced the battery would freeze at such low temperatures. That none of his neighbors either removed their batteries or suffered the fate he feared did not persuade him he was wasting his effort.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Huh, I always thought he was excited about the sandwich, but maybe he was scared of it in the video....

Status
Not open for further replies.