Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Are you telling us that you found a definition of "I keep getting it wrong" that says "do, say or understand something accurately or correctly"? I find that completely bizarre. Please give us a link to the online version that says that or, if it's a physical dictionary, take a photo of the page and post it.
Ah, I'm so sorry. I made a mistake. It's the definition of 'get something right' not 'wrong.' This is what happens when you study at 3 a.m I guess.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dic...et (something) right,careful to get it right.

So the definition should be- [FONT=&quot]to do, say, or understand (something) accurately or incorrectly.[/FONT]

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ash, you link you posted (#21) is about get it right, which unsurprisingly is exactly the opposite of get it wrong. (If you know one you know the other one.)

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes that's what it says. To fail to understand correctly. But my question was about mispronouncing a name. Understanding and pronouncing are two different things.
If it can be used for mispronunciation, why not hearing or seeing?
I'm not sure which "it" you're referring to. Are you asking why we don't say "You saw it wrong?"

We often say, "You heard it wrong." And if we're discussing a rumor or gossip, we skip it and just say "You heard wrong."

We don't say, "You saw it wrong," because that's unlikely. You undoubtedly saw what you saw. (It's true that we're sometimes mistaken about what we see, but the phrase is still not natural.)

When someone mispronounces a name, we might say, "You got her name wrong" or simply say it correctly: "That's Loo-SIN-da."

But you're asking why. I can't tell you why we do what we do. I can only tell you what we do.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I'm not sure which "it" you're referring to. Are you asking why we don't say "You saw it wrong?"

We often say, "You heard it wrong." And if we're discussing a rumor or gossip, we skip it and just say "You heard wrong."

We don't say, "You saw it wrong," because that's unlikely. You undoubtedly saw what you saw. (It's true that we're sometimes mistaken about what we see, but the phrase is still not natural.)

When someone mispronounces a name, we might say, "You got her name wrong" or simply say it correctly: "That's Loo-SIN-da."

But you're asking why. I can't tell you why we do what we do. I can only tell you what we do.
Thank you for the answer. Cause according to most dictionaries 'get something wrong' means to fail to understand something which says nothing about seeing something.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for the answer, because according to most dictionaries 'get something wrong' means to fail to understand something which says nothing about seeing something.
That's right. To get something wrong is to make a mistake.

In casual conversation, we often shorten because to 'cause. When we quote that conversation in writing, we use an apostrophe.

In ordinary writing, we spell out the whole word: because.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
That's right. To get something wrong is to make a mistake.

In casual conversation, we often shorten because to 'cause. When we quote that conversation in writing, we use an apostrophe.

In ordinary writing, we spell out the whole word: because.
According to this I think it's possible to say 'Sorry I got your name wrong' even when you're talking about writing someone's name incorrectly. I think it's also possible to say 'I got your name wrong' even when you 'heard someone's name wrong.'

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
According to this, I think it's possible to say 'Sorry I got your name wrong' [Strike]even[/Strike] when you're talking about writing someone's name incorrectly, and I think it's also possible to say 'I got your name wrong' even when you [Strike]'[/Strike]heard someone's name wrong.[Strike]'[/Strike]

I have made some possible corrections.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think it's possible to say 'Sorry I got your name wrong' even when you're talking about writing someone's name incorrectly. I think it's also possible to say 'I got your name wrong' even when you 'heard someone's name wrong.'

I agree that "I got your name wrong" is a perfectly acceptable alternative to "I wrote your name wrong". I don't think it works for mishearing it. The two could be connected though - for example "I got (wrote/said) your name wrong because I misheard it".

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I came across a video where someone says "I keep saying it wrong" after saying a sentence wrong. It was a script so he had to say it exactly as written. I wonder if it's possible to say "I keep getting it wrong" instead.

I couldn't provide the link of the video but here's a similar one:
[video]https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/dee433ae-78a0-4aff-a495-d1b99969b5d3[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.