Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Why isn't it "live wildly"? I know sometimes even an adjective can describe a verb as an adverb, is this that kind of case?

gu44)Another strange phenomenon has been added to the list of effects that global warming is having on the natural world : shrinking sheep. The Soay sheep of Scotland that live wild on the island of Hirta have been studied closely for more than two decades...

Why isn't it "live wildly"? I know sometimes even an adjective can describe a verb as an adverb, is this that kind of case?

gu44)Another strange phenomenon has been added to the list of effects that global warming is having on the natural world : shrinking sheep. The Soay sheep of Scotland that live wild on the island of Hirta have been studied closely for more than two decades...

It means that they live in a wild state, they are not domesticated.

I rather like the idea of sheep living wildly - it suggests they're out every night getting drunk and having mad parties! ;-)

Can you explain that sometimes an adjective like "wild" can describe a verb? Verbs are usually described by adverbs, not adjectives. So is this an exceptional case where an adjective acts like an adverb?

The Soay sheep of Scotland that live wild on the island of Hirta

Can you explain that sometimes an adjective like "wild" can describe a verb? Verbs are usually described by adverbs, not adjectives. So is this an exceptional case where an adjective acts like an adverb?

Let me google that for you :)

b

Let me google that for you :)

b

Last edited:

'Wild' is a perfectly respectable adverb in its own right. Plenty of dictionaries give examples of its use, including Collins:

wild
adv

• in a wild manner
  • run wild ⇒ to grow without cultivation or care
  • to behave without restraint

Rover

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back