Though I like Paris, I can't live there.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you mean you have to write or edit something that are unnatural for native speakers of English to cater to local students' needs?
I can't speak for 5jj, but I think we've all had to do something similar when working for someone else. I was lucky enough to have mostly private students in Spain so I taught whatever I wanted (or they needed) but I did have a couple of students through an academy and I had to follow their curriculum and use their textbooks. Some of the contents of those books were painfully awful but had to be covered. It wasn't "to cater to local students' needs"; it was simply because that's what the academy paid me to do!

neb090

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I can't speak for 5jj, but I think we've all had to do something similar when working for someone else. I was lucky enough to have mostly private students in Spain so I taught whatever I wanted (or they needed) but I did have a couple of students through an academy and I had to follow their curriculum and use their textbooks. Some of the contents of those books were painfully awful but had to be covered. It wasn't "to cater to local students' needs"; it was simply because that's what the academy paid me to do!
I think (all) English textbooks should be edited or written by native speakers of English to avoid the possible grammar problems that non native speakers may have.

If the team members include some non native speakers, they will more or less write some "unnatural" English, in my opinion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think (all) English textbooks should be edited or written by native speakers of English to avoid the possible grammar problems that non-native speakers may have.

If the team members include some non-native speakers, they will more or less probably write some "unnatural" English, in my opinion.
Note my changes above.

In an ideal world, all textbooks for learning English would be written by native speakers but, as we all know, we don't live in an ideal world. I feel very sorry for learners who are forced to study using sub-standard textbooks.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think (all) English textbooks should be edited or written by native speakers of English to avoid the possible grammar problems that non native speakers may have.

If the team members include some non native speakers, they will more or less write some "unnatural" English, in my opinion.
Sadly, that does seem to be true quite often.

There is no need to put "unnatural" in quotes there. (Unlike her, where there is.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is one the the grammar points that I learned in my English textbook.
I suppose they could also tell you it's a waste of time to learn that stuff, but if they had that attitude they presumably wouldn't be teaching it in the first place.
I find that what non native speakers learned is not necessarily what native speakers speak or even write in daily life.
I'm not sure why you keep using the phrase "in daily life". There are plenty of things people know and understand but don't use every day. Then there are things people never say because we just don't talk that way.
But our English textbooks are also edited by some native speakers. I wonder how they feel when they are editing these English textbooks.
I've never done that. I don't what I would feel. 🤔

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm not sure why you keep using the phrase "in daily life".
it seems natural enough to me for ordinary, routine activities. It does not necessarily mean that these happen every single day,

Last edited:

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
@dunchee

I can find no reference on the page you linked us to to 'Dr Darling'.

Dedicated to the memory of Dr. Charles Darling.
Charles developed The Guide to Grammar and Writing in 1996, originally to help his students write reports and research papers. In addition, he wanted to create a place where students could look up grammatical issues for themselves. The Guide to Grammar and Writing rapidly took on a life of its own, mushrooming into a wildly popular site, with upwards of 30,000 hits per day from all over the world. It was a labor of love for Charles and, when he retired in 2005, he continued working on it.

Charles thought it was essential that the site remain a free service, but laughed at the implications if it were otherwise.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That dedication was not on the page you originally linked us to.

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
Ah... I understand now. You want the name (and reference) of the author of the statement I quoted. I've been using Dr. Darling's website for years and I didn't think much of it. That dedication was added after his passing and the old version might have a link (something like "About Me", "About the Author") on each page. Nonetheless, I'll remember to do that in the future.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah... I understand now. You want the name (and reference) of the author of the statement I quoted.
Yes. When we ask for the source of quoted text, we need the name of the author of the text and the publication you took it from.