Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Please can someone explain to me what is the meaning of the below sentence:
"the price of silver fell to that obtaining elsewhere".

in fact i understand that silver price fell down but I don't understand remaining such as "that obtaining elsewhere" ?

It makes no sense to me.

'Obtaining' here means 'prevalent'.

See definition 3 here.

See definition 3 here.

Well, you learn something new every day. So it means "the price of silver fell to a price which was prevalent elsewhere".

Well, you learn something new every day. So it means "the price of silver fell to a price which was prevalent elsewhere".

New one for me too!

See definition 3 here.
Great people like you make learning English more easier for other, deep thanks for your clarification it is help me a lot :)

thank you for help, I will memorize your example to improve myself

thank you for help, I will memorize your example to improve myself

It is a very uncommon use of that word. I wouldn't put it at the top of my list for memorization.

I think it is a Victorian or perhaps Edwardian usage.

I bet 99% of native speakers would think you were misusing the word. Rover is apparently in the other 1%.

Rover and I are there together. But I agree that few native speakers today would get it. It is archaic but not obsolete.

I'm with Rover and probus on this.

Rover and I are there together. But I agree that few native speakers today would get it. It is archaic but not obsolete.

Might I join the club?;-) (But I only know it because I had a geography teacher who was a windbag and a showoff.)

b

Afterthought: the collocation conditions and obtain was familiar enough to me (not very) to suggest a look in BNC and COCA. The collcation had 12 hits in BNC, and 19 in COCA (which, because COCA is more than 4 times as big, suggests that it's less common in Am E).

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back