what is the difference between price and quote?

yabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
When I want to ask for price of a commodity from a whole seller through an official letter, I used to use the word: price.
Sometimes they reply with the word "quote". I know quote means an estimated price of a job or service.
I am confused which one is the proper word to use or what do they mean by using quote.
When I want to ask for price from a whole seller for my company, so that I can sell in my retail shop, which word is proper to use and what is the difference?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
A quote is, as you say, an estimated price. If a seller gives you a quote, it usually means that they don't have a fixed price list for whatever it is you want to buy.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A quote can be an estimate, or it can be a definite price. The point is that it's simply for information. It's not a binding contract on either side.

In my side business, we respond to enquirers with a "provisional quote". Once they have given us a little more information and completed a form, we give them a "confirmed quote". If they then confirm that they wish to go ahead with their booking, we send an invoice. Until we send them an invoice, they don't owe us anything. They know how much the invoice will be for only after they receive the "confirmed quote".

yabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
A quote can be an estimate, or it can be a definite price. The point is that it's simply for information. It's not a binding contract on either side.

In my side business, we respond to enquirers with a "provisional quote". Once they have given us a little more information and completed a form, we give them a "confirmed quote". If they then confirm that they wish to go ahead with their booking, we send an invoice. Until we send them an invoice, they don't owe us anything. They know how much the invoice will be for only after they receive the "confirmed quote".
Thanks. You send your provisional quote by proforma invoice?
I mean what is written in proforma invoice is provisional quote not confirmed quote.
Am I correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks. Do you send your provisional quote by proforma invoice?
I mean that what is written in the proforma invoice is a provisional quote, not a confirmed quote.
Am I correct?
I have no idea what a "proforma invoice" is. I don't use that term at all. In response to an enquiry through our website, I simply send an email that says "Our provisional quote [for what you want] is £XXX. In order for us to confirm this quote, you need to complete our online application form and return it to us by [date]." That's the provisional quote. If they complete the application form and return it to us by the deadline, we check our original quote and, if nothing has changed, we send another email that says "This is to confirm our quote of £XXX. Please let us know if you wish to go ahead and book". If they confirm that they want to go ahead, we create a PayPal invoice and send it to them.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
A proforma invoice is a draft invoice, similar to a provisional quote.

I am confused which one is the proper word to use or what do they mean by using quote.
If a supermarket has a sign saying "Apples $5 a kilo", that's the price of a kilo of apples.

If I want to engage an English teacher to give me lessons and I ask how much he/she will charge for three months, six hours a week, and he/she says "$1500", that's a quote.

yabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I have no idea what a "proforma invoice" is. I don't use that term at all. In response to an enquiry through our website, I simply send an email that says "Our provisional quote [for what you want] is £XXX. In order for us to confirm this quote, you need to complete our online application form and return it to us by [date]." That's the provisional quote. If they complete the application form and return it to us by the deadline, we check our original quote and, if nothing has changed, we send another email that says "This is to confirm our quote of £XXX. Please let us know if you wish to go ahead and book". If they confirm that they want to go ahead, we create a PayPal invoice and send it to them.
Probably Proforma Invoice ıs a very old term. It has almost the same functionality as the provisional quote you mentioned. BTW Proforma Invoice as abbreviated as PI in trade. I will check in Internet.
Here is its meaning from site https://www.trade.gov/pro-forma-invoice
A pro forma invoice is a quote in an invoice format that may be required by the buyer to apply for an import license, contract for pre-shipment inspection, open a letter of credit or arrange for transfer of hard currency.

PS) you red- colored some letters in my reply. Are they wrong?

yabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
A proforma invoice is a draft invoice, similar to a provisional quote.

If a supermarket has a sign saying "Apples $5 a kilo", that's the price of a kilo of apples.

If I want to engage an English teacher to give me lessons and I ask how much he/she will charge for three months, six hours a week, and he/she says "$1500", that's a quote.
Thanks for your reply. I got my answer by EMSR reply. Do you mean price is for commodity and quote for service. ESMR gave a complete answer.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Do you mean price is for commodity and quote for service.
No.

Don't look at the details. Look at the idea.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@yabi The words in red are corrections to errors. Please study them carefully.

You need to work on punctuation.