Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi all,
I would like to know what does the above phrase mean in ‘Until the rest of the world gets the virus under control, New Zealand is an island nation in more than one sense.’ from npr.org. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to know what [STRIKE]does[/STRIKE] the above phrase means in ‘Until the rest of the world gets the virus under control, New Zealand is an island nation in more than one sense.’

From npr.org.

You could have provided a link to the source of your quoted sentence. I have done that for you, but there's a lot to read before we find the context of your quote.

I gave up.

Last edited:
New Zealand is known to be quite isolated geographically from the rest of the world. In that sense, it is viewed as an "island", though it comprises a few islands (land masses surrounded by water).

NZ has been successful in bringing the virus pandemic under control, which sets it apart from most other countries at this time which are still grappling with the problem. Naturally, it is reluctant to open its borders to other countries anytime soon, with the threat of virus still prevailing. In that sense, it is "isolated" from the rest of the world not only geographically, but also in the current pandemic situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back