Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Hi everyone, thanks for looking at this thread.

A man involved in all the JFK business called Roger Craig was told, on asking after a friend, that his friend had died because he had “more chain than he could carry”. I was very surprised I couldn’t find this saying on Google! Have any of you heard of it? I’m assuming it just means succumbing to your ailments etc.

Thanks again for looking.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've never heard of it. Do you have more context? Who was the dead friend? What did he do for a living?

If I had to guess with no context, I might think he'd been killed by the Mafia (or similar). Some people have been assassinated by groups like that by having a very heavy chain wrapped around them (or their feet) and then being thrown into a body of water.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It is an allusion to an ancient and exceedingly racist joke which I decline to repeat. It has to do with the discovery in a pond or swamp of the body of a black man wrapped in chain, the presumption of the speaker being that he had been trying to steal the chain.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is an allusion to an ancient and exceedingly racist American joke which I decline to repeat here. It has to do with the discovery in a pond or swamp of the body of a black man wrapped in chain, the presumption of the speaker being that he had been trying to steal the chain.

Yes, this is exactly what came to my mind. But I would expect the plural "chains."

Trying to steal more chains than he could swim with.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Chain is frequently used uncountably.

AtticusL

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Hey everyone, thanks for the answers!

I have no details about the friend who died, I just heard the phrase.

I suppose in those days it could very well have been a reference to a racial thing. Shame really because it’s a very poetic sounding saying for someone passing away.

Am I rubbish at googling, can anyone find it on the web?

Cheers again!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Why would anyone want to, given what I have told you about its origin and meaning? If you insist on using it in memoriam of your late friend, you may as well go the whole hog and include the N-word, which was part of the original.

Some people! Sheesh!

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I seriously doubt it's a reference to a racial joke. It seems to be offered as a sincere epitaph on friend's passing. I imagine it's a metaphorical reference to life burdens as prisoner chains. There are numerous historical and biblical references to the burdens (literal and metaphorical) people carry in life as chains, shackles, or yokes.

I think the idea is that the deceased finally succumbed to all his physical and/or mental burdens. Given the phrasing, I can't help but wonder if the deceased committed suicide.

Although there were conspiracy theories on his death, Craig's own official cause of death was ruled as self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If that interpretation is correct, don't you think the speaker would have used could rather than can?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If that interpretation is correct, don't you think the speaker would have used could rather than can?
He did.:)
A man involved in all the JFK business called Roger Craig was told, on asking after a friend, that his friend had died because he had “more chain than he could carry”.

Status
Not open for further replies.