Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Is this the only correct pronunciation of the sentence below: "She is one point seven five meters tall"?
The sentence is mine.

"She is 1.75 metres tall."

also a hundred and seventy-five centimetres.

That does[FONT=&quot]n't, but o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e metre seve[/FONT][FONT=&quot]nty-five is fi[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ne.[/FONT]

If a person's height is 1.80 would a native speaker pronounce it as "one point eight zero/oh"?

If a person's height is 1.80 would a native speaker pronounce it as "one point eight zero/oh"?

No, not in everyday speech. Most of us still use feet and inches in the UK, but in medical situations and the like, we are expected to use the metric system. If someone asked me "How tall are you?" in one of those situations, I'd say either "One sixty-five" or "One meter sixty-five". For all other situations, I'm "Five foot five" or "Five five".

I'd say it as one metre eighty or a hundred and eighty centimetres.

Or just one-eighty if the context makes it clear that we talking height.

No, not in everyday speech. Most of us still use feet and inches in the UK, but in medical situations and the like, we are expected to use the metric system. If someone asked me "How tall are you?" in one of those situations, I'd say either "One sixty-five" or "One meter sixty-five". For all other situations, I'm "Five foot five" or "Five five".

1.75 as "one seventy-five" is another way of pronouncing it, isn't it?

Only if it's absolutely clear that height is being referred to and your listener is accustomed to metric measurements. Otherwise, use one of the alternatives above.

Only if it's absolutely clear that height is being referred to and your listener is accustomed to metric measurements. Otherwise, use one of the alternatives above.

I see. But I didn't understand one thing "oh" and "zero" are never used because none of you mentioned them in your replies. I am afraid I didn't understand emsr2d2's answer regarding it :-?

"If a person's height is 1.80 would a native speaker pronounce it as "one point eight zero/oh"?" Post #8. emsr2d2 said not in everday speech.

I see, but I didn't understand one thing. Are "oh" and "zero" [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] never used? [STRIKE]because[/STRIKE] None of you mentioned them in your replies. I am afraid I didn't understand emsr2d2's answer regarding it. :-?

"If a person's height is 1.80 would a native speaker pronounce it as "one point eight zero/oh"?" (Post #8) emsr2d2 said not in everyday speech.

Sorry. My last response was a bit muddled. "No" was simply my answer to "Would you pronounce it 'One metre point oh/zero'?" Even in a medical situation, that is extremely unlikely.

In a situation requiring metric units, we'd say "One metre eighty [centimetres]". In everyday speech, those who use metric units would probably just say "One eighty". However, as I said, many of still use imperial measurements for height/weight etc, so we'd say "I'm five [foot] nine".

I'd say it as one metre eighty or a hundred and eighty centimetres.

I noticed that you didn't mention the other two options with "point" and the second option "one eighty" for 1.80.

They're not natural. When giving our height, we don't use "point" and we wouldn't say "eight zero/eight oh" for "eighty".

They're not natural. When giving our height, we don't use "point" and we wouldn't say "eight zero/eight oh" for "eighty".

Yes, with "zero/oh" it's clear now, but I didn't know that you wouldn't say "one eighty" for 1. 80 the construction you use for 1. 75 "one seventy-five". Lots of new nuances.

Yes, with "zero/oh" it's clear now, but I didn't know that you wouldn't say "one eighty" for 1.80 the construction you use for 1.75 "one seventy-five". Lots of new nuances.

I'm not sure where the confusion has occurred but we would say that. When talking about the height of a person, we might or might not include the word "metre".

1.55m > One metre fifty-five/One fifty-five
1.70m > One metre seventy/One seventy
1.80m > One metre eighty/One eighty
1.85m > One metre eighty-five/One eighty-five

I'm not sure where the confusion has occurred but we would say that. When talking about the height of a person, we might or might not include the word "metre".

1.55m > One metre fifty-five/One fifty-five
1.70m > One metre seventy/One seventy
1.80m > One metre eighty/One eighty
1.85m > One metre eighty-five/One eighty-five

Is using "centimetres" also optional? In "one metre fifty-five centimetres" and in "a hundred and seventy centimetres"? I may e wrong but I think it's not optional in "a hundred and seventy centimetres."

We would not normally use "centimetres" in "one metre fifty-five centimetres"; we would normally use it in "a hundred and seventy centimetres". It would not be essential in

Tim: I am a hundred and eighty centimetres tall. How about you?
Tara: A hundred and seventy.

Sorry, but what's the difference between "a hundred and seventy centimetres" in your explanation and in Tara's response about her height? I don't understand:-?

In Tara's response to Tim she does not use the word "centimetres" because it is understood.

Is using "centimetres" also optional? In "one metre fifty-five centimetres" and in "a hundred and seventy centimetres"? I may e wrong but I think it's not optional in "a hundred and seventy centimetres."

Yes- I am one metre seventy-one, according to my doctors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back