1.75 metres tall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes- I am one metre seventy-one, according to my doctors.

I am sorry for another lengthy post. It is just a little unusual for me that there are so many options to talk about your height in English.
I will write all the possible options I have studied just to make sure I don't misunderstand. All correct options are for 1.72:
1. "I am one point seven two meters tall.

2. "I am one metre seventy-two centimetres."

3. "I am one metre seventy-two."

4. "I am a hundred and seventy-two centimetres."

5. "I am a hundred and seventy-two.

6. "I am one seventy-two."

Do Russians not have a variety?

Just say "I'm five foot seven and a half" or "I'm five-seven and a half." :)

I am sorry for another lengthy thread. It is just a little unusual for me that there are so many options to talk about your height in English.
I will list all the possible options I have studied just to make sure I don't misunderstand. All correct options are for 1.72:

I would space before the list but not between the items on the list.

Also, your posts are not too long, but your threads often become quite lengthy. (There's nothing wrong with that.)

I would space before the list but not between the items on the list.

Also, your posts are not too long, but your threads often become quite lengthy. (There's nothing wrong with that.)

Could you please tell if the listed options are all correct?

Except as a response to "How tall are you?", none of those is natural.

As a response to "How tall are you?", #2, #3 and #4 are possible.

Yes, that's the context I was talking about. When you are asked a question about your height, how native speakers of English usually answer it. I listed all the options together based on the answers I received during the discussion including yours below.

Tim: I am a hundred and eighty centimetres tall. How about you?
Tara: A hundred and seventy.

A native speaker wouldn't use such a full, formal response in everyday speech.

A: How tall are you?
B: One eighty.

A: How tall are you?
B: Five seven.

If you are goi[FONT=&quot]n[/FONT]g to ask us if a [FONT=&quot]number of optio[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ns are possible, you [/FONT][FONT=&quot]need to give us full co[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ntext for each optio[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

The context for each listed option is

A: "How tall are you, Anna?"

B: "I am..." and the listed options below.

I added the fifth option because you had a similar example of a short response.

1 - Grammatically possible but, as you have bee[FONT=&quot]n[/FONT] told, most [FONT=&quot]n[/FONT]ative speakers would [FONT=&quot]not say it,
2 - Possible.
3 - More [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]atural tha[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n #2. Probably the most likely.
4 - Possible.
5 - Very u[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]nlikely,
6 - U[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]nlikely.[/FONT]

It's interesting that "one seventy-two" is unlikely, but the same construction in "one eighty" is correct. :-|

I didn't say 'one seventy-two' was incorrect. I said it was unlikely, which it is for me. emsr2d2 and I are not obliged to have the same opinion on such matters.

If I reduce my answer "I am a hundred and seventy-two" to "a hundred and seventy-two" without "I am" would it sound more natural?

If I reduce my answer "I am a hundred and seventy-two" to "a hundred and seventy-two" without "I am" would it sound more natural?

Not to me.

And to me, it would be just about OK as long as the listener knows that 1) you're talking about your height and 2) you're using the metric system (and realises you're using only centimetres).

I fear you're getting bogged down looking for a right answer, or at least one that all native speakers agree on. You're going to be disappointed! I can't even agree with myself. If asked how tall I am (in a non-medical situation), I might say any of the following:

- Five five.
- Five foot five.
- I'm five five.
- I'm five foot five.

In a medical setting, I might say:
- One sixty-five.
- One metre sixty-five.
- I'm one sixty-five.
- I'm one metre sixty-five.

There you have eight options, and I am just as likely to use one as another. I have no preference for any of them, other than that my gut reaction when asked for my height is to give it in feet and inches because I was brought up (mostly) using the imperial system.

Rachel, people can get a pretty good idea of your height just by looking at you. For that reason it's not a question most people hear very often. (They ask it at the doctor's office, but I'm not sure why.)

Rachel, people can get a pretty good idea of your height just by looking at you. For that reason it's not a question most people hear very often. (They ask it at the doctor's office, but I'm not sure why.)
I was repeatedly asked how tall my son's sixteen-year-old best friend was during a trip around France. The answer was great mouth exercise: cent quatre-vingt-dix-neuf centimètres — a hundred and ninety-nine centimeters. Having him as a traveling companion brought another perc: when I told the EasyJet gate agent we had a very tall person in our group, she allowed us to board first so we could get bulkhead seats that he could fit into. :)

Doctors need your height as well as your weight so they can compute your body mass index.

Last edited:
I'd just say "200 centimeters." Rounding error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back