Other
What is the difference between

The doctor has gone to Hospital vs The doctor has gone to the Hospital

kfredson

Member Type
Academic

The noun "hospital" (just like the noun "doctor") requires the definite article "the." Hence,

The doctor has gone to the hospital.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Neither a teacher nor a native-speaker

The doctor has gone to a hospital vs The doctor has gone to the hospital

If, to which hospital the doctor has gone is known, you should use the definite article, otherwise use the indefinite one.However, I think the word "hospital" can be used without article for referring to hospitilized patients.Such as;

Q:How is he doing recently?

A:Oh, haven't you heard that he is at hospital.(Here, the emphasis is about a person's condition ,not where he is.)

But we'd better wait for a native-speaker for a confirmation.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Neither a teacher nor a native-speaker

If, to which hospital the doctor has gone is known, you should use the definite article, otherwise use the indefinite one.However, I think the word "hospital" can be used without article for referring to the patients.Such as;

Q:How is he doing recently?

A:Oh, haven't you heard that he is at hospital.(Here, the emphasis is about a person's condition ,not where he is.)

But we'd better wait for a native-speaker for a confirmation.

If you say "The doctor has gone to hospital", it strongly implies that he is sick and has gone for treatment.
"The doctor has gone to a hospital", implies the same, almost as strongly.
"The doctor has gone to the hospital", however, implies that he has gone to the hospital where he works.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If you say "The doctor has gone to hospital", it strongly implies that he is sick and has gone for treatment.
I agree. This is quite normal in most Englishes.
Going to hospital is like going to school - neither requires an article.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***NOT A TEACHER*** I'm pretty sure that here in the United States, "the" is always used with "hospital": (1) Where's Mona?/ Oh, she's gone to the hospital to visit her friend. (2) Why isn't Dr. Smith in his office today?/Sorry, he's been called to the hospital because of an emergency. (3) There was a terrrible crash. The victims have been taken to the hospital.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
***NOT A TEACHER*** I'm pretty sure that here in the United States, "the" is always used with "hospital": (1) Where's Mona?/ Oh, she's gone to the hospital to visit her friend. (2) Why isn't Dr. Smith in his office today?/Sorry, he's been called to the hospital because of an emergency. (3) There was a terrrible crash. The victims have been taken to the hospital.
That's all quite confusing. Every teacher I had told me to say "I'm going to the hospital".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes, but it's not the same in BrE, Irish English, Indian Eglish and, it seems, Australian English.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's all quite confusing. Every teacher I had told me to say "I'm going to the hospital".
***NOT A TEACHER***Mmasny: As you know, there are some differences between American and other varieties of English. You will have to decide which variety you wish to master. Just keep an open mind and accept all varieties with respect. I keep trying to perfect my California English, but I enjoy reading British newspapers online because it gives me a chance to learn British slang and marvel at British spelling. Most Americans, for example, have no idea what "gaol" means. They think it's a misprint for "goal"!!! When you visit the U.K., follow British rules; when in the States, follow American rules. It's good exercise for the mind.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
***NOT A TEACHER***Mmasny: As you know, there are some differences between American and other varieties of English. You will have to decide which variety you wish to master. Just keep an open mind and accept all varieties with respect. I keep trying to perfect my California English, but I enjoy reading British newspapers online because it gives me a chance to learn British slang and marvel at British spelling. Most Americans, for example, have no idea what "gaol" means. They think it's a misprint for "goal"!!! When you visit the U.K., follow British rules; when in the States, follow American rules. It's good exercise for the mind.
That's easy for you to say because you are a native English speaker, and such games would come easy to you.
Actually I think it's counterproductive to choose a variety and then fret over whether everything you say and write is normal in that variety. It's all English (well, most of it) and the sky will not fall if you say "He had to go to the hospital" in Australia or Britain.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nor would the sky fall if you said "It was a bad crash. The driver was taken to hospital by helicopter" in the U.S.

We'd know what was meant.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Nor would the sky fall if you said "It was a bad crash. The driver was taken to hospital by helicopter" in the U.S.

We'd know what was meant.
Yep, but using language is not merely about saying what you mean. It's also about feelings that others get towards you when you speak and feelings you get because of that. I don't like people smirking at me :) It's hard to tell for me whether a phrase will cause it or not, when I don't know if they use it. That's probably all learners' pain...
Everybody understands Tarzan, but we still don't want to speak like him :)

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yep, but using language is not merely about saying what you mean. It's also about feelings that others get towards you when you speak and feelings you get because of that. I don't like people smirking at me :) It's hard to tell for me whether a phrase will cause it or not, when I don't know if they use it. That's probably all learners' pain...
Everybody understands Tarzan, but we still don't want to speak like him :)
***NOT A TEACHER***Yes, mmasny. I understand your feelings. As I suggested in my earlier post, choose one variety of English to learn well. Let's say you choose American English. When you visit a place where another variety of English is spoken, the people there will not "smirk" at you. They will just think: Oh, he speaks American English. If you learn well one variety, then you will have self-confidence. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.