Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifalikson

Member Type
Other
Can the word "PLEASE" use in a sentence like this: I please you to come to my house. Heard it from a friend.

No, that would never be said by a native speaker.

I plead with you, perhaps.

***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

Can the word "PLEASE" use in a sentence like this: I please you to come to my house. Heard it from a friend.

Maybe,
I am pleased that you have come to my house.
I am pleased to have you over.

***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

Maybe,
I am pleased that you have come to my house.
I am pleased to have you over.

Thank you and yes, I know that.. Just wondering please as in a form of verb. I understand that please is an adjective. Anyway, thanks and got my answer.
;-)

Thank you and yes, I know that.. Just wondering please as in a form of verb. I understand that please is an adjective. Anyway, thanks and got my answer.
;-)

Yes, "please" may function as a verb, as euncu just wrote above.
However, in your original sentence there is no room for "please" as a verb, as Barb_D already said.
"Please" is not an adjective, depending on the situation it can be an adverb or a verb.

Probably your friend meant "I plead you to come to my house," with the verb "plead" meaning "beg".

Yes, "please" may function as a verb, as euncu just wrote above.
However, in your original sentence there is no room for "please" as a verb, as Barb_D already said.
"Please" is not an adjective, depending on the situation it can be an adverb or a verb.
"Pleased" is an adjective in "I am pleased that you came" = "I am delighted, happy, glad ... that you came".
"Please" is a verb in "It would please me if you came", "Your coming pleases me".

I please you to come to my house. Wrong
It would please me if you came to my house. Right.

"Pleased" is an adjective in "I am pleased that you came" = "I am delighted, happy, glad ... that you came".
"Please" is a verb in "It would please me if you came", "Your coming pleases me".

I please you to come to my house. Wrong
It would please me if you came to my house. Right.

Like what our teacher said

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back