Member Type
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi

Can you please clarify me the difference between the "otherwise" and "other wise" ?
I would like to know if using the 2 words can convey different meaning.

Should i write other wise instead of otherwise OR this will convey different meaning ?

Regards

Hi

Can you please clarify me the difference between the "otherwise" and "other wise" ?
I would like to know if using the 2 words can convey different meaning.

Should i write other wise instead of otherwise OR this will convey different meaning ?

Regards

"Otherwise" is all one word for the meaning I think you're looking for.

I'm going to take an umbrella otherwise I'll get wet if it rains.

Obviously, it's possible to have "other wise" in a sentence. For example:

There are three wise women in this room. There are other wise women in a different room.

:up: The morpheme '-wise' means way/method/means; 'otherwise', like 'anyway' is now one word (though they both started life, hundreds of years ago, as two).

(You'll find '-wise' in a few other words - 'clockwise', 'likewise', 'crab-wise' .... And it's also used, very informally, to create new adverbs: "There's no need to ask your sister along to the party. I'm all fixed up, 'date-wise'" - but you won't find this in any dictionary [at least, I hope not. :)])

b

Last edited:
I looked up the word "wise" and know that it can be used as a noun meaning "way".
How do you think about this sentence "The other wise is to sleep for about 7 hours a day" ?
Although I think the use of "way" here is more suitable.
Thank you very much !

I looked up the word "wise" and know that it can be used as a noun meaning "way".
How do you think about this sentence "The other wise is to sleep for about 7 hours a day" ?
Although I think the use of "way" here is more suitable.
Thank you very much !

It doesn't mean "way" with the definition "method" or "road". It means more like "similarly to/in the direction of". With this usage it's always attached to another word, as BobK gave examples of (clockwise, likewise etc).

:up: 't's always attached to another word' today, but in old texts I've met the expression 'in similar wise' (meaning "likewise" or "similarly").

b

The other wise is to sleep for about 7 hours a day
The other wise is to sleep for about 7 hours a day :cross:
The other way is to sleep for about 7 hours a day :tick:

The other wise is to sleep for about 7 hours a day :cross:
The other way is to sleep for about 7 hours a day :tick:

Did you mean my sentence is correct ?

What do you think :cross: means?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back