on an otherwise lifeless crucible of a planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Billions of years ago, before there were beasts, bacteria or any living organism, there were RNAs. These molecules were probably swirling around with amino acids and other rudimentary biomolecules, merging and diverging, on an otherwise lifeless crucible of a planet.

Source: Nature How did life begin? One key ingredient is coming into view

It seems to me that the "on" here should have been "in". The definition of it is :"a pot in which substances are heated to high temperatures, metals are melted, etc.". And even if you adopt another definition "a place or situation in which people or ideas are tested severely, often creating sth new or exciting in the process".

That is, "in which" is natural while "on which" is odd and wrong. But I am not absolutely sure.

Should "on an otherwise lifeless crucible" be "in an otherwise lifeless crucible" there?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The grammar looks odd to me. I believe there are some forms of expression better than this.

How about "on a planet, an otherwise lifeless crucible at that time"?

Last edited:

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The original is fine as it is.

What does the original actually mean then? Can you please expand it in more words or details so that I can understand it clearly?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Aside from RNA, there was no life on the planet.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Aside from RNA, there was no life on the planet.

OK then, the sense now becomes clearer, but the grammar does not.

The reason that the structure - "on an otherwise lifeless crucible of a planet" - appears odd to me is that the use of "of". Usually, a sentence like "I stand on the roof of a house" means you stand on the roof - a particular place or part of the house. The particularity gives the sense of clarity. While "you stand on the house" is a bit vague because you might stand on the wall of the house rather than the roof.
The point here is: What does "of" mean in "on an otherwise lifeless crucible of a planet"? Is "an otherwise lifeless crucible" a parallel of "a planet"? Or is it part of the planet in this grammar?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it helps to make it clearer you can remove a couple of words and have it read: on an otherwise lifeless planet.

The word "of" doesn't mean anything by itself.

You are over-analyzing things.

Last edited:

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If it helps to make it clearer you can remove a couple of words and have it read: on an otherwise lifeless planet.

Yes it helps to put it this way. But now let us place "crucible" back there because it would make it more vivid and colorful. What grammatical role it plays in the structure?

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
5. (used to indicate apposition or identity): Is that idiot of a salesman calling again?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes it helps to put it this way. But now let us place "crucible" back there because it would make it more vivid and colorful. What grammatical role does it play in the structure?
I think that is point of "crucible" there -- to make the prose more poetic. I wouldn't read too much into it.

As for the specific grammar of "crucible," I'll let @5jj answer that one.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
The reason that the structure - "on an otherwise lifeless crucible of a planet" - appears odd to me is that the use of "of".
It probably sounds odd to you because you haven't come across it before. It's perfectly acceptable and fairly common usage.
You've got the meaning but as 5jj says above, the original sounds much more natural.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it's the planet that is lifeless. That's the important point -- perhaps the only one.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, it's the planet that is lifeless. That's the important point -- perhaps the only one.
Here, "a planet" and "an otherwise lifeless crucible" form the relation of apposition. They were the same thing then.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here, "a planet" and "an otherwise lifeless crucible" form the relation of apposition. They are the same thing then.
We do not agree.

I think you could substitute "incubator" for "crucible" and have it mean the same thing, but it's still a metaphor. It's not a real thing. It's the planet that's being discussed.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think "crucible" can be considered an analogy. The subject proper is "planet".

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We do not agree.

I think you could substitute "incubator" for "crucible" and have it mean the same thing, but it's still a metaphor. It's not a real thing. It's the planet that's being discussed.

The planet served as a crucible at the time. They are grammatically the same thing, not in reality (there are never two things in reality that are exactly the same).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are entitled to your opinion.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It's an attempt at making this piece of writing more colorful and interesting to read. It's a successful attempt, I might add, and it does work for me.

The thing with writing something that you want to sound more colorful and interesting, maybe even a bit poetic, is that it doesn't always make sense when analyzed literally. There are literary tools like methaphors and analogies that are meant to address the reader's imagination more than logic. Maybe it will help you if I rephrase it like this:

"These molecules were on a planet that could be compared to an otherwise lifeless crucible."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.