Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Japan
I want to write a letter to an institution I interviewed, telling them that:

I would very much like to be considered for that vacancy. But I have to make a quite decision because I have got an offer from another place who wanted me to reply immediately. I am in a dilemma because I don't want to lose the opportunity to work for you, and I can't afford losing an offer by keeping them waiting so long.

How shall I put it clearly and appropriately? I don't want to sound like I am using leverage to get that job...

Please help me...Thanks a lot!!

I want to write a letter to an institution I interviewed, telling them that:

I would very much like to be considered for that vacancy. But I have to make a quite decision because I have got an offer from another place who wanted me to reply immediately. I am in a dilemma because I don't want to lose the opportunity to work for you, and I can't afford losing an offer by keeping them waiting so long.

How shall I put it clearly and appropriately? I don't want to sound like I am using leverage to get that job...

Please help me...Thanks a lot!!

Try the letter yourself first and post it here and then we'll comment. You have already written most of what you need in your post!

Thanks * 1000
--------------------------------

Dear xxx,

I enjoyed my interview with you last Friday for the xxx position.

You should know that I am very interested in this opportunity with xxx, becasue the job seems to be a very good match for my skills and interests. .......

I am eager to know how your decision process is coming along. I am in a dilemma--I have got another job offer, which required my immediate reply. I don't want to lose the opportunity to work for you, but I can't afford losing the offer by keeping them waiting.

I understand that you have established procedures to follow in recruiting. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Again, thanks you for taking time to interview me. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
xxx

Well, of course, honesty is the best policy, however, in this situation I wouldn't tell my potential employer that I've got another offer. He may understand it as a way of asking him for a higher salary, or something, and think that I'm a tricky person that cannot be trusted. My recommendation is ask him to give you more time for consideration as it's a serious decision you're going to make, and so on.

I agree with Pokemon- I would withdraw the offer on receipt of this letter if I were the employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back