No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would use shown in this way, "He had shown them something" and I would use showed in this way, "I showed them that."

By the way, what is the "had" part of my first sentence? I can't remember it from my highschool french class (where I learned more about the english language than I ever had from my 13 years of English education in the American public school system :? ).

Also, in Exodus 33:18 it says, "And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory." (I think this is Moses to the Lord)

Trick question, I say!

Samantha said:
I would use shown in this way, "He had shown them something" and I would use showed in this way, "I showed them that."

By the way, what is the "had" part of my first sentence? I can't remember it from my highschool french class (where I learned more about the english language than I ever had from my 13 years of English education in the American public school system :? ).

Also, in Exodus 33:18 it says, "And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory." (I think this is Moses to the Lord)

Trick question, I say!

The word had is an auxiliary verb.

Auxiliary Verb
https://www.usingenglish.com/glossary/auxiliary-verb.html

:) :)

Shew and, even, shewed are old forms that are not used nowadays, but are still found in old texts. ;-)

Quite right. :lol:

You said that Shewed and shew are old forms and that they cannot be found but in old English/texts.
I want to know that you did not mean the second choice, showed.
I was afraid you made a spelling mistake :twisted:

Keep smiling :wink:

:lol:
He had shown them something

i have shown them something

i showed them something
:)

Shew even though showed is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back