Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Do American people say "Please could you ---?", for example, "Please could you check the balance in your account?"
If they do, how different it is in meaning from "Could you please check the balance in your account?"

Thank you in advance

I can't speak for Americans, but there would be no difference at all in meaning to a British speaker.
Perhaps some people might consider that "Please could you..." sounds more polite, since it puts "Please" at the beginning of the phrase. Those same sensitive people might also feel that "Could you please..." had a note of irritation about it, especially if the "please​" was emphasised...

I would be inclined to put the "please" at the end. Certainly not at the beginning.

So if you found "Could you please ...?" in, for example a reminder notice, the sender of the notice would be irritated.
I guess people who send a reminder are more or less irritated, though.

So if you found "Could you please ...?" in, for example a reminder notice, the sender of the notice would be irritated. Not necessarily.
I guess people who send a reminder are more or less irritated, though. Not necessarily.

I have no problem whatsoever with "Please could you ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back