Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
"Take the hog and run up the hill."

is this an idiom, and if so, what does it mean? I couldn't find it in your dictionary.

Thank you very much,

Gunilla

Welcome to the forum, Gunillao.

Have you any context for this sentence?

I can't find it, but it may be used in some region of the USA.

I think this is not idiom, it is a proverbs, but never heard in UK.

I think this is not idiom, it is a proverbs, but never heard in UK.

Is your native language really English, lillyrowling18? Also, your IP address shows that you are not located in the UK at all.
Please amend your member information so that it is all correct.

I'm from the Mid-south and I can't say I've ever heard that before.

Not an idiom in my opinion. I've never heard or seen the phrase in my life, and it is also implausible on its face. A hog is big and heavy. You are not going to take a hog and run anywhere, leave alone up a hill.

Not an idiom in my opinion. I've never heard or seen the phrase in my life, and it is also implausible on its face. A hog is big and heavy. You are not going to take a hog and run anywhere, leave alone up a hill.

For info for learners, the underlined part above would be "let alone up a hill" in BrE.

I cannot explain myself into this thread dear moderator,
and You are tracking my ip address... wow,
I am here for using English... is there any problem with my reply????? I think I didn't write anything wrong...

Is your native language really English, lillyrowling18? Also, your IP address shows that you are not located in the UK at all.
Please amend your member information so that it is all correct.

Many of us check a member's profile when they submit a post.

If you have asked a question, knowing what your native language is may help us give a more appropriate response.
If you have responded, some members want to know whether you are a native speaker and/or teacher.

If people wish to keep this information to themselves, fine, but please don't give information that's not true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot explain myself [strike]into[/strike] in this thread dear moderator. [strike]and[/strike] You are tracking my [strike]ip[/strike] IP address. Wow.
I am here [strike]for using[/strike] to use English. Is there any problem with my reply? [strike]????[/strike] I think I didn't write anything wrong.

5jj has clearly explained why we like people to give true information in their profile.
Please see my amendments to your post above and remember to follow the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.
- We do not connect sentences with "..." as you did.
- Always capitalise the word "I" and all proper nouns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back