need help starting as teacher for No-English-Basis teenagers ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnCraig

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
Turkey
hello,

I am a starter at English teaching and I would like to have some advice on how to teach Arabic nine-graders whose knowledge of English is almost nothing. I need help as I am lost on how to set up a syllabus for them and I hope someone provide some guidelines on how to teach them.

Thank you

Are you working in an institute?

@Tdol

No. I am only teaching three teenagers. I have not had the chance to teach in an institute.

So these are private students? Did you have no say in which students you took on?

flashcards-(in color) You can start with nouns, and then add in the adjectives.[e.g.-dog, black dog, small black dog/ car, blue car,expensive blue car] Your main problem will be choosing "cards" that will keep them (13-15yr old teenagers) interested. Choices such as babe, hot babe, bikinied hot babe may not be the proper ones; but the World Cup is coming up and "soccer" IS popular.

@ emsr2d2

It is not that I had 'no say' in taking them, it is just that a friend asked me to help teach his friend's kids so I am planning to do so.

@ poorboy_9

Thank you, that was a useful input. Choosing interesting subjects such as football (soccer) would be helpful. They are 14-16 years old but sadly they lack the very basics of English which makes it very difficult for me to start building them up ( they do not know words like: 'but', 'play', 'enjoy' !).

Are there any similar suggestions, please. How should I carry on the process of teaching them? knowing that I have to almost start from zero.

There are lots of textbooks for teenagers who are beginners in English. For example, English in Mind Starter. I think your students will like it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back