Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is a question which says the underlined [FONT=&#48148]they had had a great time[/FONT] is wrong as it lacks "that" just before it. Does a clause have to have "that" to be an object of a verb like "told" as in the first clause?

6)On hearing the door open, I jumped out of my room. They were standing there, arm in arm, with big smiles. My plan worked perfectly. They told me that Angels's was a fantastic restaurant, and they had had a great time. My dad promised me that he would take me and my mom back to Angela's on my birthday next month.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"They told me that Angela's was a fantastic restaurant, and they had had a great time." This is OK as it is.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with bhai. You could also omit the first "that".

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I also agree with you, but the question makes me think that 2 can have the nuance "they had had a great time" wasn't said by them but by the writer. What do you think?

1. They told me that Angela's was a fantastic restaurant, and that they had had a great time
2. They told me that Angela's was a fantastic restaurant, and they had had a great time

Status
Not open for further replies.