Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
These games didn’t have to be thus. No Inter Miami game does. But for Messi’s time in the league, it appears he will be as much of a marketing tool as he will be an all-time great footballer fans may get the chance to enjoy should they manage to get a ticket for a game.

Source: Boos, thrashings and injuries: how Inter Miami’s world tour turned into a circus by James Nalton, the Guardian

Have I understood the above sentence correctly? I rewrote the underlined part as follows:

...it appears he will be as much of a marketing tool because he will be an all-time great footballer that fans may get the chance to enjoy if they manage to get a ticket for a game.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you got it exactly right.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, you've misunderstood it. The word as is not like 'because'. The sentence is comparative, using the structure 'as much ... as ...' .

The logic is this: He will be both a marketing tool and an all-time great footballer in equal parts.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Have I parse the sentence correctly?:

it appears he will be as much of a marketing tool as he will be an all-time great footballer [that fans may get the chance to enjoy if they manage to get a ticket for a game].

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jutfrank is not wrong. However, he is only a marketing tool only because he is a great footballer.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have I parseD the sentence correctly?:

it appears he will be as much of a marketing tool as he will be an all-time great footballer [that fans may get the chance to enjoy if they manage to get a ticket for a game].
I think so. Let's see if Jutfrank agrees.
😊

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jutfrank is not wrong. However, he is only a marketing tool only because he is a great footballer.
@Maybo There are too many "onlys" in that sentence. Which one would you remove? (It's a trick question. 😊)

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Remove the first only.🧐
That's what I would do. However, it doesn't really matter. (I told you it was a trick question. 😊)

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Have I parsed the sentence correctly?:

I think you have the right idea, yes, but I'd do it like this:

... he will be as much of [a marketing tool] as he will be [an all-time great footballer [that fans may get the chance to enjoy if they manage to get a ticket for a game]].

Last edited: