Can someone please correct this formal email? Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara6923

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
Hello,

I have question about writing formal e-mails and wonder if someone could help me with this one.

Do I always need to start an e-mail to somebody I do not know personally with 'Dear Sir'. If, for example, I write to a company or a store asking for details about a product, can I say something else. Above sound very formal. Can I simply say 'hello' like here, or use different greeting?

I need to write an e-mail to college asking and tell them I booked a date for my English course on line and want to confirm dates. I don't attend a course there and this is first time I write. Can someone say if this is correct. I appreciate your help.

Hello,

I have just booked a place on the course (here I include name and details - very long!) at your college but the dates on the website are different than the one in my booking confirmation. Can you please confirm the dates when the course is held.

Regards

I would really appreciate if someone can correct any mistakes. I want the email to sound correct!

Thank you,

Sara

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

I have a question about writing formal e-mails and wonder if someone could help me with this one.

Do I always need to start an e-mail to somebody I do not know personally with 'Dear Sir'? If, for example, I write to a company or a store asking for details about a product, can I say something else? The greeting above sounds very formal. Can I simply say 'hello' like here, or use a different greeting?

I need to write an e-mail to a college [strike]asking and[/strike] to tell them I have booked a date for my English course [strike]on line[/strike] online and want to confirm the dates. I [strike]don't attend[/strike] have never attended/am not attending a course there and this is the first time I [strike]write[/strike] have written to them. Can someone [strike]say[/strike] tell me if this is correct? I appreciate your help.

Hello, (I would probably use "Good morning/afternoon")

I have just booked a place on the course (here I include name and details - very long!) at your college but the dates on the website are different [strike]than[/strike] from the ones in my booking confirmation. Can you please confirm the course dates? [strike]when the course is held.[/strike]

Regards

I would really appreciate it if someone [strike]can[/strike] would correct any mistakes. I want the email to sound correct!

Thank you,

Sara

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

See my suggested corrections above, in red. Remember to end questions with a question mark.

eleni_d

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
UK
E-mails tend to be less informal than letters, but still I think it's more polite to address an unknown recipient by starting your e-mail with "Dear Sir or Madam".

Status
Not open for further replies.