Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Below is my end paragraph of cover letter for job in the field of IT/computer science. Any suggestion or modification from you will be of great help for me.

[previous paragraph]
I would be most grateful if you could consider me for any suitable positions available within your company. I am available for interview at any time and look forward to hearing from you. I can also provide outstanding personal and professional references.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely yours,

Your help will be appreciated greatly.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
(Not a Teacher. Englishman)

I would make the following changes if I were to send this letter to a BrE employer. Other members will be able to advise for their own regional variations of English:

"I would be grateful if you would consider me for any suitable positions available within your company. I can provide any personal and professional references required. I am available for interview at any time and look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Yours Sincerely,"

I have removed the word "most" since in BrE "most grateful" sounds too subserviant and a bit too much. Then I've swapped the next two sentences to make it flow better. The reason is that it sounds better to say that you look forward to hearing from them right near the end of your letter rather than in the middle.

I have also removed the word "outstanding" because to be honest in BrE this sounds boastful. An employer would expect your references to be very good. However, I realise that perhaps in AmE you might be expected to push yourself forward a bit more.

You signed off with "Sincerely yours". To me that sound like AmE and it may be perfectly fine in AmE and other forms of English but not in BrE. In BrE you always use "Yours Sincerely" if your letter starts with a person's name, such as "Dear Mrs Andrews", or "Dear Mr Jones". However, if you don't know the person's name then you always end with "Yours faithfully".

I hope some of this helps....and good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.