Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Anybody see him?

Nobody move a muscle.

We use verbs with s at the end when talking about third person. Are these sentences correct? If yes then, please tell where to use verb without s while talking about third person.

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
"Anybody see him?" -> "Does/Can anybody see him?"

"Nobody move a muscle." sounds like a command, an imperative sentence. An exclamation mark would be more appropriate than a period.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please tell me how to know when we have to use verbs without "s".

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Anybody see him?" -- this is correct. Either in present or past tense. Why? I can tell you as a native speaker that we use "anybody" as a collective noun to imply "we". It is never used as "Anybody sees" as in 3rd person singular.

Hope that helps
"not a teacher, but I am native expert speaker"

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

The OP has already received excellent answers. I only wanted to expand a bit on the topic, for I am sure that many learners find this matter rather confusing.

I have made up two sentences:

1. Everybody stands up when the Queen enters the room.
2. Everybody stand up when I enter!''

As you, dear learners, can see, #1 uses "s" (the indicative) because it is a fact: Everyone DOES stand up whenever Her Majesty comes into a room.

In #2, however, that is NOT a fact. It means something like: "I demand that everyone stand up when I enter the room." It is NOT a fact. It is only my demand or wish. So we do NOT use the "s." (We use the so-called subjunctive form.)

I have found an explanation from a world-famous scholar. It has really helped me. I am delighted to share it.

Look at his example:

Oh, please, someone go in and tell her."

That scholar says this: "Any imperative [command] is virtually [actually] in the second person ["you"], even if [it is] seemingly addressed [said] to a 'third person' [such as "someone"]."

In other words, the scholar says (that) that sentence actually means something like: "Oh, please, one of you present, go in and tell her."

-- Otto Jespersen, Essentials of English Grammar (1933), page 148.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Okay when it's a kind of order or request then we don't use s for third person. Got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.