Use of anybody in affirmative sentences?

VOYAGER

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
A- The compounds of the word any, namely anybody/anyone-anything-anywhere are said to be used only in the interrogative sentences and negative sentences in various grammar sources as far as I can remember. Two simple examples are:

1- Do you know anybody to help us? 2- There isn't anybody in the room.

Now read this conditional sentence : 3- If anybody wants to see me, tell them I'm attending a meeting at the moment.

Here the word anybody in the conditional clause is a part of an affirmative sentence when the word if is removed. I also remember that the word somebody could be used instead of the word anybody in the given conditional sentence. Do you think if there is a mistake by the use of the word anybody in the given sentence 3 above? If not, the use of anybody in an affirmative sentence seems to be possible. But is this correct according to usual grammar? Is there a missing point I may have? Or, is the beginning sentence I remember wrong?

B- One more sentence related to the word any may be this sentence: 4- Is there an apple on the tree?

Can you rewrite this sentence using the word any?

Is the correct answer (a) Is there any apple on the tree? or (b) Are there any apples on the tree?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. (a) Is there anybody who can help us?
(b) Is there anybody who would be would be willing to help us?

The original is ungrammatical.

2. There isn't anybody in the room.
3. (a) If anybody wants to see me, tell them I'm attending a meeting at the moment.
(b) If anybody wants to see me, tell them I'm in a meeting.
4. (a) Is there an apple on the tree?
(b) Are there any apples on the tree?

I have reformatted the sentences. Now it is neater.

I'm going to assume they are your sentences. (I could be wrong.)

Now let's narrow things down to one question at a time. (I might have to look up "affirmative sentence".)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Do you think if there is a mistake by the use of the word anybody in the given sentence 3 above?

No.

If not, the use of anybody in an affirmative sentence seems to be possible.

Right.

But is this correct according to usual grammar?

Yes, it's perfectly normal.

Is there a missing point I may have? Or, is the beginning sentence I remember wrong?

The rule you refer to is a basic rule meant for low level students. By no means does it always apply.

B- One more sentence related to the word any may be this sentence: 4- Is there an apple on the tree?

Can you rewrite this sentence using the word any?

If you want to use the plural word 'apples', you can't use the indefinite article 'an', of course. You have to use either 'some' or 'any' instead, both of which are used with plural and uncountable nouns, or forego a determiner entirely:

a) Are there some apples on the tree?
b) Are there any apples on the tree?
c) Are there apples on the tree?

Your next step should be to ask the difference in meaning between 'some' and 'any'.

Last edited: