• Start date
  • Views : 55,126
Status
Not open for further replies.

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Just how common is this type of structure in English. A few examples clearly illustrate that it's very common. Picking just a few names at random, granted they are common names, produces a lot of hits.

Results 1 - 10 of about 10,300 English pages for "to Bob and myself".

Results 1 - 10 of about 24,100 English pages for "to Bill and myself".

Results 1 - 10 of about 6,290 English pages for "to Mary and myself".

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Just how common is this type of structure in English. A few examples clearly illustrate that it's very common. Picking just a few names at random, granted they are common names, produces a lot of hits.

Results 1 - 10 of about 10,300 English pages for "to Bob and myself".

Results 1 - 10 of about 24,100 English pages for "to Bill and myself".

Results 1 - 10 of about 6,290 English pages for "to Mary and myself".
1...No one said that one couldn't find examples of bad English on the internet. (assuming those are all examples of "override pronouns") What some of us said is that we prefer not to teach bad English.

2...It is not surprising that you feel you must have the last word. Or will you surprise me and prove me wrong?

Naamplao

Member Type
Other
1...No one said that one couldn't find examples of bad English on the internet. (assuming those are all examples of "override pronouns") What some of us said is that we prefer not to teach bad English.

2...It is not surprising that you feel you must have the last word. Or will you surprise me and prove me wrong?

I didn't see those stats until I saw your posting since I have Riverkid on my ignore list...but I just had to comment.

#1 Results 1 - 10 of about 10,300 English pages for "to Bob and myself".
#2 Results 1 - 10 of about 172,000 English pages for "to Bob and I".

A 94.3% support for #2 (our position)

#3 Results 1 - 10 of about 24,100 English pages for "to Bill and myself".
#4 [SIZE=-1]Results 1 - 10 of about 220,000[/SIZE] English pages for "to Bill and I".

A 90.1% support for #4 (our position)

#5 Results 1 - 10 of about 6,290 English pages for "to Mary and myself".
#6 Results 1 - 10 of about [SIZE=-1]154,000[/SIZE] English pages for "to Mary and I".

A 96.1% support for #6 (our position)

The statistics are even more overwhelming if you test "to Bob and you/yourself" which is the question at the beginning of this thread.

#7 Results 1 - 10 of about 6 English pages for "to Bob and yourself".
#8 Results 1 - 10 of about [SIZE=-1]88,900[/SIZE] English pages for "to Bob and you".

A 99.99% support for #8 (our position)

It is nice of riverkid to challenge us on the basis of statistics. But as in the past, he/she does not give much thought to those challenges.

Clearly this "override reflexive "pronoun concept is supported by fewer than 10% of the population if you wish to take the Internet as a sampling. It is not the mainstream view that he/she would wish us to believe.

He/she does all ESL learners a great disservice by claiming her views are mainstream.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"to Bob and me" has 17,600,000 results.

Status
Not open for further replies.