Is it proper to refer to Paul McCartney as "Sir Paul" when he is actually Sir James?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spectrum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
According to Wikipedia, musician Paul McCartney of the Beatles was actually born James Paul McCartney, and he was knighted as Sir James Paul McCartney.

Is it proper to refer to him as "Sir Paul"? If we are observing the forms, shouldn't it be "Sir James"?

(I am pretty sure that "Sir McCartney", at least, is not acceptable. The prefix Sir attaches to a given name, not a surname.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The 'Sir' is prefixed in everyday use to the forename by which the person is generally known.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The 'Sir' is prefixed in everyday use to the forename by which the person is generally known.
The next time I visit the Czech Republic I’ll be sure to ask to see Sir 5jj. ;)

anton_s

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
No, it would not be proper to refer to Paul McCartney as "Sir Paul" if his full title is "Sir James Paul McCartney." While "Sir Paul" has become a common nickname for him, it is technically incorrect. The correct way to address him in formal situations would be "Sir James" or "Sir James Paul McCartney."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That is not correct, anton.

On extremely formal occasions he might be introduced as Sir James Paul McCartney, but he would not be addressed as "Sir James", and certainly not as "Sir James Paul McCartney."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.