Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

The gerund structure sometimes has the same meaning as the infinitive structure.

That is why I would like to know if there is any difference in meaning between "a cost of gerund" and "a cost to inifinitive".

For instance:

A cost of building the house was very high.

versus

A cost to build the house was very high.

Thank you.

Only 'The cost of building the house was very high' is correct.

I don't want to question your answer. What do you think of this fragment?

Using conventional combustion technology without cogeneration, the estimated cost to generate electricity from biomass ranges from 5.2 to 6.7 cents per
kilowatt-hour in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest. Actual costs would vary depending on financing, location, system design and fuel cost. In the future,
new gasification technologies may lower the cost of generating electric power from waste wood and other biomass fuels. In contrast, the estimated cost of
generating electricity from a new natural gas-fired, combined-cycle power plant is 2.8 cents per kilowatt-hour.

http://www.oregon.gov/energy/RENEW/Biomass/Pages/Cost.aspx

I would prefer '...the estimated cost of generating electricity...' in the first sentence. The writer himself used 'the cost of generating electricity' twice subsequently in the passage.

While I prefer the gerund form there, I cannot call the infinitive form incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back