a feeling of happiness that something unpleasant has not happened or has ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

capcap23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Relief; a feeling of happiness that something unpleasant has not happened or has ended. source.

Is this "that" complement of "happiness" or "feeling"? I look it up for "happiness" but couldn't find any example for taking complement and as far as I know, when there are two clauses modifying one noun, they take a comma between them.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The antecedent of the relative 'that' is the NP a feeling of happiness, the headword of which is 'feeling'.

You know I'm no expert on grammar but I'm sure that's not right.

I don't think that is a relative pronoun here and so has no antecedent. If you replace it with which, you'll hear this quite clearly.

I think it can be called a complementizer, introducing a that-clause complement. I don't know the precise terminology.

Hopefully, PaulMatthews will step in and set things straight.

capcap23—why do you need to know this?

capcap23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
capcap23—why do you need to know this?

In order to improve my grammar.

For example "Mead also drew a conclusion that some find startling - that not only the self but also the human mind is a social product." In this sentence, it is seperated with hyphen, I don't know why.
Another one, "I did not believe his original statement, that he had won the lottery, until he proved it to us." In this one, I know why it is seperated. Because it isn't essential to the meaning of the sentence as in relative clauses.

I want to know when to use dash, comma or nothing for when I will write an essay, application, etc.

I think In original post, that isn't essential to the meaning. What feeling it is was stated "feeling of happiness".

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In order to improve my grammar.

I doubt this will help improve your use of grammar. You just need to understand the meaning and use of the sentence.

For example "Mead also drew a conclusion that some find startling - that not only the self but also the human mind is a social product." In this sentence, it is separated with a hyphen. I don't know why.

It's not a hyphen, it's a mistyped dash. You can look up how to use dashes quite easily.

Another one, "I did not believe his original statement, that he had won the lottery, until he proved it to us." In this one, I know why it is separated: it isn't essential to the meaning of the sentence as in relative clauses.

Yes, it's parenthetical.

I want to know when to use a dash, comma or nothing for when I [STRIKE][STRIKE]will[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] write an essay, application, etc.

Good. When you've finished studying how to do this, feel free to ask us about anything that's unclear.

I think In original post, that isn't essential to the meaning. What feeling it is was stated "feeling of happiness".

In the original sentence, the word that is similar in meaning to because. One feels happy because something bad did not happen. Another way to say this is: the fact that something bad did not happen is what one is happy about.

Last edited by a moderator:

YAMATO2201

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
relief

a feeling of happiness that something unpleasant has not happened or has ended
I think that something unpleasant has not happened or has ended is an appositive that-clause. Am I correct?

たとえば ‘the fact that . . .’のように同格節を導く名詞について,文法書 (Quirk et. al. A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language) には次のような解説が見られる。

appositive that-clause: the head of the noun phrase must be general abstract noun such as fact, idea, proposition, reply, remark, answer and the like.
https://dictionary.sanseido-publ.co.jp/column/wisdom-in-depth22

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think that something unpleasant has not happened or has ended is an appositive that-clause. Am I correct?

Possibly, yes, but really—why does it matter what it's called?

capcap23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Your hapiness that something unpleasant has not happened or has ended. Is it possible?

being sad that/ have the sadness that. Is such thing possible for nominalization of adjectives as in abstract nouns?

To my knowledge, "because" is interchangeable with "that" of adverbial clause.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your hapiness that something unpleasant has not happened or has ended. Is it possible?

being sad that/ have the sadness that. Is such thing possible for nominalization of adjectives as in abstract nouns?

To my knowledge, "because" is interchangeable with "that" of adverbial clause.

I have no idea what you're asking, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.