Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello.

What's the English for a shop where freshly baked finger-licking good donuts are made.

Thank you.

They are made at a bakery (among other delicacies).

In Polish, there is a special name for it.

In AmE we usually call a place like that a donut shop. "Finger-licking good" is a matter of taste, though. :)

This is a place where dough nuts are made while you wait.

The far superior donut-like pastry in New Orleans, Louisiana, is called a beignet. Beignets are always made to order. They're sold in cafés, pastry shops, and beignet stands.

Aren't they fried?

It looks like KFC started it but don't have exclusive rights to use it.

What does it mean trade-marked for something else?

KFC use the term finger lickin' good in their advertising.

Donuts and fried chicken. I will have to try that combination.
;-)

What does it mean trade-marked for something else?
It often means that it can't be used by others and has the trademark symbol[SUP]TM[/SUP], or the registered trademark symbol [SUP]®[/SUP].

Aren't they fried?

Yes. Like donuts, beignets are fried dough. They are served with huge piles of powdered sugar dumped on top. When I eat my semi-decennial donut, the unpleasant greasy flavor I experience for the next few hours reminds me why I haven't eaten one for the last five years. I've never had that problem with a beignet.

Last edited:
The only doughnut-only shop in the UK (as far as I know) is "Dunkin' Donuts". I would just call it a doughnut shop - there's no other name for such a shop, probably because, apart from the chain I named, there aren't any.

The only doughnut-only shop in the UK (as far as I know) is "Dunkin' Donuts". I would just call it a doughnut shop - there's no other name for such a shop, probably because, apart from the chain I named, there aren't any.

That's an interesting fact. Do you not eat doughnuts that much, or just don't have specialty shops for them?

Your progeny in Canada have the most shops per capita in the world.

I honestly don't know what the doughnut-eating habits of most Brits are. I have one maybe once a year! We just don't have speciality shops for them - most people buy them from a bakery or from the bakery section of a supermarket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back