English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hello, dear teachers.
I have read a lot about grammar information on the Internet. Not all the writers have the same idea. Could you please tell me if my understanding is correct?

When present perfect tense indicates duration, it is normally used with non-continuous verbs. However, it can be used with the following continuous verbs: live, work, teach, study, learn. It can also be used with continuous verbs in negative sentences to indicate state duration.

1. Where’s Tom? He has gone to Paris already.
→Now Tom is in Paris, or he is on the way to Paris.
Could you please tell me if my understanding is correct?

2. I have studied / have been studying English since I was 7. But my English isn’t good enough. I need to work harder.

3. They have been married for 25 years. They are a happy couple.

4. I know you well because I have known you for over 20 years.

5. He hasn’t smoked for two weeks. He is trying to quit smoking.

6. I haven’t eaten steak for several weeks. I can’t wait to eat some now.

7. She has learnt / has been learning to drive for two months. But she still can’t drive well.
Could you please tell me which of the timelines below is correct, the green one or the red one? Thank you very much?

attachment.php

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, dear teachers.
I have read a lot about grammar [STRIKE]information[/STRIKE] on the Internet. Not all [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] writers have the same [STRIKE]idea[/STRIKE] opinion. Could you please tell me if my understanding is correct?

When present perfect tense indicates duration, it is normally used with non-continuous verbs. However, it can be used with the following continuous verbs: live, work, teach, study, learn. It can also be used with continuous verbs in negative sentences to indicate state duration.

1. Where’s Tom? He has gone to Paris already.
→Now Tom is in Paris, or he is on the way to Paris.
Could you please tell me if my understanding is correct?
Yes, he could still be travelling towards Paris or he might already be there.

2. I have studied / have been studying English since I was 7 but my English isn’t good enough. I need to work harder.
Both are possible but most native speakers would use the continuous.

3. They have been married for 25 years. They are a happy couple. :tick:

4. I know you well because I have known you for over 20 years. :tick:

5. He hasn’t smoked for two weeks. He is trying to quit smoking. :tick:

6. I haven’t eaten steak for several weeks. I can’t wait to eat some now. :tick:

7. She has learnt / has been learning to drive for two months but she still can’t drive well.
Only the continuous works there.

See above (corrections in red, comments in blue).

Status
Not open for further replies.