Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm trying to practice various topics.
Topic : activities in a traditional holiday

Q : Tell me about one of the biggest holidays in your country. What do people do and what kind of special food do people prepare on that day? Describe it in detail.

A : In Korea, Chinese New Year is the biggest holiday ever.
It means that on Lunar New Year, many family members and relatives get together in one place, eat special foods, and celebrate it.

On Lunar New Year, we usually have a special food, tteokguk, which is a soup with sliced rice cake. Having tteokguk represents that you get one year older.

We also remember our ancestors by having a memorial service for ancestors/an ancestors’ remembrance ceremony. The ceremony has some rules in preparing foods. There are a special food called jeon or Korean pancake and some sea foods.
Jeon is the main food put on the table for the ceremony.

In addition, children should bow to their parents and older relatives. And they give bow money/money gift/cash gift to children. They are happy with the bow money.

There is a special game called Yunnori or a game of yut. You play it with your family, especially for the Chinese New Year.
In the game, there are four sticks, each of which has different numbers of marking.
We throw them up in the air and when they fall down on a mat, we check out the numbers of their front sides and back sides.
Depending on the numbers and the game strategy we use on the game board, your victory or defeat is determined.

We also visit our ancestors’ tombs. We bow to them in front of the tombs with prepared foods and in so doing, we remember and honor them.
===============================

If I have made any mistakes, please correct them.

Chinese New Year

Try:

In Korea, Chinese New Year is the biggest holiday.

Am I right that you asked the question and gave the answer?

Last edited:
Re: Chinese New Year

Try:

In Korea, Chinese New Year is the biggest holiday.

Am I right that you asked the question and gave the answer?

The question is given by a tester in the OPIC test and I give the answer.
If you can't correct all the text, could you just correct the underlined parts below?

We also remember our ancestors by having a memorial service for ancestors/an ancestors’ remembrance ceremony. The ceremony has some rules in preparing foods. There are a special food called jeon or Korean pancake and some sea foods.
Jeon is the main food put on the table for the ceremony.

In addition, children should bow to their parents and older relatives. And they give bow money/money gift/cash gift to children. They are happy with the bow money.

I don't see the need for ever. You could say that it is the biggest holiday period.

You could say:

We also remember our ancestors by having a memorial service for our ancestors

Or:

We also remember our ancestors by having an ancestors' remembrance ceremony.

Either one.

Since there Is more than one. I would say there are special foods prepared for the occasion.

Finally, I would say the children are required to bow to their their parents and older relatives. Also, they are happy to get the bow money.

Sorry for not responding sooner. I'm on a million threads at a time.
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back