Other
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

I learnt English in school, as it was our primary language for all subjects, and have been speaking it since I was 3 years old, now I'm 33.
My questions is that whenever I use the word 'divorce', that has occured between 2 people, I use from to indicate it.
This topic has come up because there are individuals saying the following is not grammatically correct:
"Adele says her new album will explain her divorce to her son"
They're saying the above indicates that Adele married her son and is now divorcing him.
But I don't see how it could be misconstrued that way.
Because I've always known that divorce always happens from someone.
I could be wrong. But could you explain to me why it is written this way? As in "Her Divorce from her husband" and not "Her Divorce to her husband"?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.

I learnt English in school, as it was our primary language for all subjects, and have been speaking it since I was 3 years old; now I'm 33.
My questions question is relates to the fact that whenever I use the word 'divorce' no comma here that has occurred between 2 two people, I use "from" to indicate with it.

This topic has come up because there are individuals saying the following is not grammatically correct:
"Adele says her new album will explain her divorce to her son."

They're saying the above indicates that Adele married her son and is now divorcing him no full stop here but I don't see how it could be misconstrued that way no full stop here because I've always known thought/believed that divorce always happens "from" someone.
I could be wrong no full stop here but could you explain to me why it is written this way no question mark here As in because it should be "her divorce from her husband" and not "her divorce to her husband"?
I don't know who those people are but they're clearly not parsing the sentence correctly. We don't have to use anything after "divorce" either as a verb or a noun.

Last week, I got a divorce.
I'm going to get divorced.

We also don't need a preposition:
I divorced my husband.
He's divorced seven women!

Also, those people aren't thinking logically. Clearly, Adele was never married to her own son. That would be illegal.

It has nothing to do with the fact that you want the word "from" to appear after "divorce". I think you're parsing it wrong too.

Adele is divorced. The songs on her album will help to explain to her son the reasons for her divorce.

Your preposition "from" is required only if you choose the following word order:

She's getting divorced from her husband.

There's no real need for "from her husband" if the reader/listener knows that the woman being referred to is married to a man. If that's the case, we'd just say "She's getting divorced/She's getting a divorce". (Note that if the reader/listener knows the woman being referred to and knows she is married to a woman, the same applies. There's no need to say "She's getting divorced from her wife.")

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In that sentence, the verb 'explain' is meant to follow this pattern:

• explain something to somebody

Adele says her new album will explain her divorce to her son.

You can see that to her son expresses the person receiving the explanation, not the person being divorced. You could expand the sentence like this:

Adele says her new album will explain her divorce from her husband to her son.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
As in "Her Divorce from her husband" and not "Her Divorce to her husband"?
A divorce is an "exit". You marry or get married to someone . You divorce or get divorced from someone.

Dhruv

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Ok, great! Thank you all for the clarity :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ok OK/Okay, great! Thank you all for the clarity. :)
At the beginning of a sentence, write "OK" or "Okay". Elsewhere in a sentence, write "OK" or "okay". "Ok" is never correct.
Remember that an emoji is not a replacement for a closing punctuation mark.
Your sentence is grammatical but it's more natural to say "Thanks for the explanations" or "Thanks for clarifying that".